cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DropBox Folder Naming with 2 Unlinked Accounts

DropBox Folder Naming with 2 Unlinked Accounts

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6

Greetings,

BACKSTORY: I have a personal account under one email and I just set up a free account for my business under a different email (that I intend to upgrade to an official Business 3TB plan today if I can figure this out). I do not want these two free accounts to become "linked," which is why I setup the "new" free account for my business. I need them separate (even with the ability to log into each separately).

ISSUE: I signed out of my free personal account and set-up the new free account for my business, but my Mac wants to save them both to the same DropBox folder and my computer asked if I want to rename the folder. When I clicked rename it added "(old)" to the original personal folder. 

QUESTION: Can I rename one Personal and one Business and have DropBox understand, which one to save to depending on which account I am logged into and how I have it setup to backup or sync? 

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Tiffany

6 Replies 6

Re: DropBox Folder Naming with 2 Unlinked Accounts

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @LTDTM, I hope you're well!

This wouldn't work I'm afraid. The app wouldn't be able to recognise the folder depending on a specific name. Since you would only connect one account at once, the folder would need to be called "Dropbox".

Is there a particular reason that you wouldn't like to link the two accounts?

This step simply allows you to easily switch between accounts when using the website, without needing to sign out and back in, and to sync both accounts to different folders on your computer.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Dapne,

Thank you for your reply. The reason I had not wanted the two accounts linked is because if I were to cancel the business account it reverts back to the free "DropBox Basic 2 GB Plan," whereas, with my free personal account I have built up the storage size overtime through referrals and bonuses.

So there is no solution it sounds like? I had chatted with support before I posted this and was told if the two accounts were connected I would lose all my earned bonus storage. It is disappointing DB doesn't offer the ability to grandfather in your original DropBox, especially when you are upgrading to a 3 TB plan.

Thanks again for your support,

Tiffany

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @LTDTM, you won't lose your referrals if you upgrade or downgrade your Dropbox account. Your referrals will just be worth different values, depending on your plan.

With a Dropbox Basic account, it would be 500 MB per referral, while with a paid one it is 1 GB per referral.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan 

Thanks for the input. Can you direct me as to where on the DropBox website it says this? I was told my free plan of 2 GB would lose it's added 4.25 GB of earned space (from 2 referrals, a camera upload, and getting started bonuses). See attached Chat transcript.
Chat transcript 3.30.21.png

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @LTDTM, thank you for the screenshot! 

You can see more regarding referrals on this article: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/earn-space-referring-friends 

Let me know if you have any additional questions, and I'm always here to help!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

LTDTM
Helpful | Level 6

@MeganThank you for the reference, however, I regret this article doesn't address my concerns that if I downgrade my a paid account that I will lose previously earned space.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LTDTM Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?