cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DropBox MacUpdate not running after install

DropBox MacUpdate not running after install

mickjsanders
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, the updater process does not run on my Mac. I just downloaded manually and installed the latest DropBox, but still no process. Please help.

Also,  just a note but the "email to DropBox" help web page doesn't work with any browsers on the Mac.

15 Replies 15

Re: DropBox MacUpdate not running after install

Chris_J
Super User

Hello mickjsanders,  thanks for reaching out to us.  Let's see if we can get it to work.  First off, check out this site here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/stuck-syncing  you may have to fix permissions as shown in the Help Center Article.

The email to support web page worked for me on my Mac so have you rebooted your Mac recently?

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Ross_S
Dropboxer
I'd suggest also ensuring you have Admin permissions while installing?

mickjsanders
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Chris, I tried the shell commands for setting UNIX permissions. No change. I should point out that syncing works perfectly, it's just that DropBox won't update itself (because the update process isn't running).

The processes running for DropBox are as in the screen shot attached.

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 09.43.03 am.jpg

mickjsanders
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Ross. Yep, I am an Admin user. Cheers!

mickjsanders
Helpful | Level 5

Hi again Chris. The DropBox app itself refers me to this page in its Preferences menu:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/update-mac

Unfortunately what that page says seems to be incorrect. I have just pulled apart the DropBox application and there is no obvious "updater" inside it. Strange!

Regarding the email submission page, the three dropdown selection boxes just don't work for me (Safari, Firefox, Chrome).

Chris_J
Super User

Thanks for getting back to us, try another build.  

Mac OS X Standard Installer

and let me know how it went.

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

mickjsanders
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Chris. I tried that build with no luck, BUT I did find out that the updater is crashing on launch. See screenshots for build dates and log...

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 15.59.59 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-04 at 16.00.19 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-04 at 16.02.46 pm.jpg

mickjsanders
Helpful | Level 5

Chris, a bit more info. I ran the updater binary exactly as the PLIST file specifies with the 2 arguments. This is what happened...

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 16.11.13 pm.jpg

Chris_J
Super User

Thanks Matt for the detailed report, this is little beyond my understanding so I would suggest getting a Support Ticket filled out at https://www.dropbox.com/support  and I imagine if you give this threads url, it would be helpful for the Tech.  And meanwhile, maybe somebody else can chime in with an idea. You will be getting a confirmation email from Dropbox team, but be patient as it will take a few days, maybe sooner.

Good luck

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

John G.127 Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropboxer
    mickjsanders Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?