cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox 100% cpu very slow

Dropbox 100% cpu very slow

Mantura
Explorer | Level 4

What is the miminum spec of PC (ALL specs RAM, Disk write speed, Broadband upload/download, CPU etc) to ensure your PC does not get noticbly slower durind normal use - especially after powering up or waking from Sleep.  I intend to by a new PC >JUST< to be able to support dropbox which is far from ideal.

Context:

I have rebuilt my (old) PC twice now thinking it may resolve my slowness issues only to finally figure out it is Dropbox causing this problem and that there are 100s of posts online about this issue (none of which I believe have been answered appropriately).  All I have seen as responses are:

1) raise a support ticket

2) wait until indexing finishes

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox 100% cpu very slow

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Mantura, thanks for posting today!

Have you checked this article to see if anything could be affecting the Dropbox desktop application?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Mantura, thanks for posting today!

Have you checked this article to see if anything could be affecting the Dropbox desktop application?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Mantura
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you this helped ....

"The performance of the Dropbox desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer. This is a soft limit and depends highly on the hardware specifications of the computer running the app. Some customers can sync more files without issue."

Note I was planning on using selective sync to overcome this issue but had previous >incorrectly< assumed that because I had opted for online-only for all files I would not experience the 100% CPU/ RAM issue.  w.r.t the 300k above, given I have a very old PC I guess I expect my value will be lower that 300k -  Can you tell me how to determine how many files I have?

Jay
Dropboxer
There isn't a method to do so via the Dropbox site, however, if the online-only files have appeared on the computer, then it might be possible to view the total files via the OS by selecting the Dropbox folder and calculating the size of the folder, which shows the number of files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Mantura Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?