cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different view when opening Dropbox

Dropbox APP missing

ConstructoraBCN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start using Dropbox instead of a server are 2

1) Everything is in the iCloud no need to have computers with a lot of memory capacity

2) Everything was really easy to manage with the Dropbox App with the PC and Handy, especially in terms of internal communication, being able to leave a message and comments or instructions on each document or folder, and all the documents no matter which format was easy to visualize, you had a preview of any document... so when you get in a folder you see the documents, not just the name and format (like now).

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start searching for a substitution of Dropbox

No Dropbox APP = We are searching for a new solution.     WE USE TO OPERATE ALWAYS DIRECTLY THROUGH THE APP

Dropbox's website is not easy to manage as was with the app...

Dropbox's website; you can see a preview of each document, has issues to open lots of formats, etc...

Dropbox's website; not comfortable to interact with a team big as our

Dropbox's Desk; in order to see the previews I do have to synchronize all so... use the memory capacity of my computer.. so If you have a 2 T of information, you better get a PC with this capacity... Why use a Cloud if at the end you need to use your computer memory capacity? Can someone explain me????

Dropbox Desk; no way to internally communicate with a team, no way to leave a message or tag anyone in a comment...

Resume:

Dropbox instead of going forward... is going backward... The App was a great and easy solution for big corporations... 

My team and I are absolutely disappointed that you have deleted the App, and we HATE and find useless the Desk solution.

I hope you fix the App soon, otherways you are definitely losing us as clients...

55 Replies 55

Bukre Ayan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have been using the Dropbox app for mac since I began working last year. And our firm has been using it for a longer time. Since this morning, I cannot use the app as I used to do because Dropbox stopped supporting the desktop app for mac?! Even though I can open and modify my files over the finder, the new way is not as convenient as it is used to be. The properties provided by the app were very useful to me. I could monitor easily the last modifications in the documents drafted by me or my colleagues, as well as who did the modification. And the search results provided by the desktop app were more convenient than the search results provided by the finder as I could sort them on the app by relevance which is not available on the finder. I am aware that I can use DB from the web and can get similar results, but it is still not the same as the DB desktop app. To modify the documents I need to open the documents with Word for web or Google Docs which are not as convenient as modifying files by directly opening them on my computer with the DB desktop app. And the DB for the web does not let me modify the forms in PDF format, I need to download and work on that then delete the old version and upload the modified version again. So, it turns out I need to use DB from finder and DB for the web at the same time to get the same result with the DB desktop app for mac.

I first would like to ask - is there anyone who knows why DB decided to stop supporting the desktop app for mac? Then would like to request from DB to make the DB desktop app for mac available again. 

Thank you!

Phil37
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yeah, I have a question: Who's brilliantly terrible idea was it to discontinue the desktop app window?? That is literally the only instance of this app that I like to use at all. Dropbox in windows explorer is a steaming pile of garbage and the webpage version of the app is a pain and doesn't work as good. I want the old dropbox back now!

Sambosam
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for the reply Hannah. I'm disappointed by the answer and really don't understand the logic behind the decision. While it may have simplified my Windows desktop (which wasn't really ever an issue to me) it's now made the process of using Dropbox much more complex. I suspect many with have the same opinion and hope that Dropbox reconsiders reinstating the app. 

CarleySue22
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

We need the DROPBOX App to act as an application. Opening up all the files in FINDER makes organizing much more difficult. 

slvs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This does NOT makes sense at all, the Dropbox app made everything so much easier. The File explorer is way harder to use. this is definitely a step back! Not happy at all!  

Harpo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Something has changed in my Dropbox.

Previously when I clicked on the Dropbox icon the icon would appear in the taskbar and the top folders or files in Dropbox would appear. 

Now the Dropbox icon no longer appears in the task bar and additional folders such as .dropbox.cache. Dropbox.ini and .Dropbox appear.

I don’t know how this change happened but wish to get my Dropbox back to it’s previous view.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, thanks for posting here!

Your feedback regarding our Dropbox desktop application has been very valuable, and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard. 

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product.

Keep in mind that no features were removed and you can still use your Finder or File Explorer without an issue. 

If you have any questions, or you're not sure how to achieve something on your app, this is why we are here to jump in and help.

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tdeboer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Megan,

Thank you for response and for acknowledging the comments. I just want to make sure we are on the same page and that I’m not missing something. The desktop app is gone, correct? I can’t gain access to this feature any longer. Or is there some way to? I’m only asking because you stated that “no feature was removed”. The app operated completely differently than the finder integration and offered large visible captions that describe what is in a given folder. I believe all of those features are gone?

Thanks again for the response,

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@tdeboer you can do everything you could do via the app on the website instead, hence, no features have been removed. They are just accessed in different places now

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

G13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is a non-answer. With the already poor communication on this, users deserve more information. There are still directions everywhere on how to install the app but no further explanation on why you are not making it available anymore.

Please do better Dropbox. 

Need more support?