cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Different view when opening Dropbox

Dropbox APP missing

ConstructoraBCN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start using Dropbox instead of a server are 2

1) Everything is in the iCloud no need to have computers with a lot of memory capacity

2) Everything was really easy to manage with the Dropbox App with the PC and Handy, especially in terms of internal communication, being able to leave a message and comments or instructions on each document or folder, and all the documents no matter which format was easy to visualize, you had a preview of any document... so when you get in a folder you see the documents, not just the name and format (like now).

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start searching for a substitution of Dropbox

No Dropbox APP = We are searching for a new solution.     WE USE TO OPERATE ALWAYS DIRECTLY THROUGH THE APP

Dropbox's website is not easy to manage as was with the app...

Dropbox's website; you can see a preview of each document, has issues to open lots of formats, etc...

Dropbox's website; not comfortable to interact with a team big as our

Dropbox's Desk; in order to see the previews I do have to synchronize all so... use the memory capacity of my computer.. so If you have a 2 T of information, you better get a PC with this capacity... Why use a Cloud if at the end you need to use your computer memory capacity? Can someone explain me????

Dropbox Desk; no way to internally communicate with a team, no way to leave a message or tag anyone in a comment...

Resume:

Dropbox instead of going forward... is going backward... The App was a great and easy solution for big corporations... 

My team and I are absolutely disappointed that you have deleted the App, and we HATE and find useless the Desk solution.

I hope you fix the App soon, otherways you are definitely losing us as clients...

55 Replies 55

Jenny15
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

As of 1/17/22 the dropbox app does not exist. Using a Mac and only being able to use Finder is not efficient or user friendly.

It is not ideal for users who have a lot of folders within folders to only have Finder be an option because there are no more starred folders. Every time I click on the Dropbox icon it opens a new finder window unless I click on the on the one that is already minimized. It also does not automatically sort folders from other files (PDF, Excel, etc) I have to manually select it to organize them this way unless all files are sorted alphabetically and looks like a mess.

This makes Dropbox a lot harder to use when trying to be efficient at work. 

BRINGBACKTHEAPP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well, this is absolutely ridiculous.  Bring the app back so I can actually use Dropbox in a meaningful way. 

Lara Siewert
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Apparently, as of January 17, 22, Dropbox decided to make an "improvement" and only open through File Explorer when you click on the app. From now on, Dropbox will only be accessible through Dropbox.com or by the little icon in the task manager (which brings up a tiny pop-up in the lower right of your screen that you can barely navigate).

I don't like File Explorer, it is not as user-friendly, I liked my Dropbox app. Someone should reverse this unnecessary change, please! I am not the only one in these forums that dislikes this. 

Saqib
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I think Dropbox should restore the Dropbox App. It was hugely convenient for accessing files and making comments on folders. Finder is not that intuitive as compared to the Dropbox app which gave the option of making certain folder favourites for quick access. 

Regards, 

Saqib 

troubledyute
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The Dropbox desktop app appears to have merged with File Explorer. Now it is less streamlined to:

-see who edited a file in File Explorer

-when a file was last edited

-when a file was added to a folder in File Explorer

-the list of people who have access/permission to a folder in File Explorer

-how to invite someone to a folder in File Explorer

tdeboer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Completely agree!

tdeboer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Mark , 

I disagree. The logic you are using is saying that because a flip phone makes phone calls and an iPhone makes phone calls they have the same features. It's just not the case. In the web browser version is VERY clunky and hard to navigate (very Window 95). Especially when we are brining on new people remotely, it does not serve the purpose of helping our organization stay organized. We had just built our entire information infrastructure in the desktop app and then DB removed that arm of their services. It is a completely optional task to download the desktop app, and the reason that I was given by DB as to why they got rid of it was because "a lot of people complained about the app." When I asked if they had sent out surveys to make sure that their dataset wasn't just biased by unhappy users that are usually much more vocal than those who are happy with a service, the reply was no.   

JuliaScruggs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I totally agree!!! Removing the app has made my work double!!!  I work on a Mac and can no longer comment with out opening in the browser and I cannot open a file via the browser (except for "preview" only) so I'm having to switch between the browser and file manager.... This is more than a headache for me.

lcollier
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed!  My work is now doubled.  Bring back the desktop app!

Harpo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Okay, my message has been answered. There is no fix other than hoping the people at Dropbox will realize the change they made is very unpopular and should be changed back.

Need more support?