cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox App Misaligned Window

Dropbox App Misaligned Window

Keagan C.
Helpful | Level 5

So I've had this problem since Dropbox no longer just opened Windows Explorer to my Dropbox folder, instead opening their app. Firstly the problem, and then some feedback.

8 out of 10 times I open this, the window is weirdly misaligned and the misalignment is even shown with a black border. If I hover in the top right of the black border, I can close the window. If I hover a little to the left of the close window button (X), I can open the menu (...). Never seen this before in any other Windows app. I use Windows 10 and everything is running the latest versions.

Screenshot_1.png

Now for my suggestions:

• If I want to do anything serious in Dropbox other than quickly open a file near the root directory, I just open Windows Explorer which is both faster and more powerful with folder tools. PLEASE may we choose to open Windows Explorer by default when we double click on the Dropbox icon.
  • Assuming you won't provide that capability because I imagine there's a business case for having your own app used,  please enable support for using the back button on the mouse.
  • And I know this is a long term wish list item, but please let us exclude syncing local folders within the Dropbox folder. Even better if we could say "If a folder is named xxx, do not sync it or any subfolders".
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox App Misaligned Window

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Keagan C. - thanks for checking in with us! I'd be more than happy to help. 

At first, could you check if you're running the beta version of the desktop app by hovering over the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer's clock? 

If you find that you're on a beta version, which can be recognized from xx.3.xx instead of xx.4.xx, try reinstalling the latest stable version after removing the option to Include me in early releases from the General tab

Moving on to your suggestions, let's take them on one by one. :nerd:

Initially, if you don't want to use the desktop app to navigate through your files locally, you can switch to using your File Explorer by following these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Select your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Go to your Preferences….
  4. Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: 
  5. Choose File Explorer.

As for your second idea, I just wanted to clarify, are you referring to a button on the side of your mouse that acts as a back button on browsers and File Explorer/Finder?

Last but not least, although this feature is in beta, you can check out this article on how to set a Dropbox file to be ignored. 

I know this is a lot of info to take in, but let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions. Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Keagan C. - thanks for checking in with us! I'd be more than happy to help. 

At first, could you check if you're running the beta version of the desktop app by hovering over the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer's clock? 

If you find that you're on a beta version, which can be recognized from xx.3.xx instead of xx.4.xx, try reinstalling the latest stable version after removing the option to Include me in early releases from the General tab

Moving on to your suggestions, let's take them on one by one. :nerd:

Initially, if you don't want to use the desktop app to navigate through your files locally, you can switch to using your File Explorer by following these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Select your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Go to your Preferences….
  4. Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: 
  5. Choose File Explorer.

As for your second idea, I just wanted to clarify, are you referring to a button on the side of your mouse that acts as a back button on browsers and File Explorer/Finder?

Last but not least, although this feature is in beta, you can check out this article on how to set a Dropbox file to be ignored. 

I know this is a lot of info to take in, but let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions. Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Keagan C.
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your reply Lusll.

I was indeed on the beta, which I should have remembered. Thanks for explaining how to see that with the version numbering!

Very happy you already have the option to switch how to navigate through folders :rainbow:

Regarding my back button suggestion - yes, on the side of the mouse. Most browsers have removed it by default now, but Windows File Explorer still has it and it's one of those little user experiences I think are under-valued.

Thanks for that how-to on how to ignore folders. I tried another suggestion last year when I asked (which is how I ended up on beta) but didn't get it to work. It appears to be working, so I might test it a bit and see if I can write a script for it! :champagne:

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us and I'm glad I could help, @Keagan C. :beers:

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout. In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

JimdeJong
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I am a prodgous user of Dropbox, and welcomed the desktop App with open arms when it happened. 

I too am having a window malalignment issue some versions of Dropbox on from the previous user most of the time, witha black border as others have suggested.  It also means that I cannot select on an item but need to click on the item above to select it.  It does not always happen, but (is it my imagination) it is happening more consistently.  BTW ... I'm using Windows 10 and I have version 96.4.172

Next move .... reinstall dropbox, but I'll hang off in case someone comes up with an answer.

thanks

EJW1
New member | Level 2

I have this exact same problem.  I changed my preference to open in file explorer, which  is fine, but it does not solve the app problem.  I am using version 97.4.467 with up-to-date Windows 10.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @EJW1, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

As a first step, could you let me know if you've tried rebooting your computer?

If you have, could you also give a reinstall of the desktop app a try? 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

EJW1
New member | Level 2

Reinstalling the app got rid of the black border and it works as it should now.

Thanks, Ed

Lusil
Dropboxer

Happy to help, @EJW1:grin:

If there's anything else I can do to assist, give me a shout. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Rocketboy235
Explorer | Level 4

Looks like there is another thread containing people experiencing this issue. I experienced this issue after doing a fresh install of Windows and Dropbox (you can see my post on the 2nd page in this thread). Guessing this is a more widespread bug than an isolated one?

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Desktop-version-mouse-tracking-issue/t...

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?