cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox App stuck starting, "quits unexpectedly" – Help please

Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

It seems my Dropbox desktop app has stopped being able to start, it gets stuck "starting" and then "quits unexpectedly".  My not aware of anything that happened differently today that would have impacted this.  I didn't get any new software, i didn't change my OS, i wasn't even using DB.

I tried manually installing the latest version, but i was already using the latest version and the manual install didn't help at all that i can see.

What are my options to resolve this issue?  

I can't access any of the files that i had selectively synched to my local machine without the desktop app working.  I can't check for syching issues because the app doesn't even get that far, it stays stuck trying to start.  If i try going to selective synch to see what is going on the app won't let me.  I assume this is because it's not even technically started up yet.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.54.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.55.16 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox App stuck starting, "quits unexpectedly" – Help please

Helpful | Level 6

It seems there is a simple reinstall and an advanced reinstall.

Simple reinstall: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Reinstall-Dropbox-desktop-app/td-p/253034

Advanced reinstall: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

The simple reinstall did not fix the issue and my desktop app still continually quits unexpectedly.  The advanced reinstall worked, for now, and my desktop app is running okay.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for reporting this behavior @Vidyuddeva!

I greatly appreciate the screenshots. I will help you access your files, in the meantime, let me know if Dropbox.com is loading for you. If not, check for a firewall in your Network.

Since we are getting the "unexpectedly quit"error, I think that there might be more to this issue. Allow me to ask with a few questions.

1. What is the version of your OS? 
  2. Does the Dropbox icon on your menu bar disappear? 
  3. Have you rebooted the device after updating Dropbox? 
  4. What is the size of the files you have Selected to have on your desktop approximately?
  5. Have you tried reinstalling the Dropbox desktop app? 

Thank you for the additional information. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello @Fiona

As for firewall settings, how would this work?  My firewall settings at home haven't changed and suddenly the app quits.  Why would the app work perfectly and then stop working if it was a firewall setting (at home).  At my place of business we all use DB professionally and on this network the app is still quiting and not able to start.  On this network everyone else here has their DB app working perfectly.  GIven all of this i don't think it's a firewall problem or based on our internet network.

Here are my replies to your questions.

1. What is the version of your OS? 

macOS Mojave – Version 10.14.6

1. Does the Dropbox icon on your menu bar disappear? 

Yes, the icon disappears after the app quits.

1. Have you rebooted the device after updating Dropbox? 

Yes, the app quits in the same way.

1. What is the size of the files you have Selected to have on your desktop approximately? 

50 GB.  There are/were no new synch selected.  No change to files.  Dropbox was synched and running and then just quit and now doesn't work.  This didn't start as a startup.  My computer was running and connected to the internet and the DB app was working and connected and synched and then just quit unexpectedly and now can't start.

1. Have you tried reinstalling the Dropbox desktop app? 

What would a reinstallation entail?  Given that i'm not sure what this would entail i think not.  I've downloaded the newest version of DB, the one i was using anyway, and then installed that, so maybe?  I didn't uninstall and then reinstall though?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Multiple organizations that I am currently managing starting having issues over the last few days. Computers that have not been changed in months are suddenly having DropBox errors constantly. It's so bad that DropBox won't stay open long enough to get pasted "Starting".  Something is clearly broken with the app or a recent update as it all started at the same time across dozens of computers, operating systems, and user accounts.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

It seems there is a simple reinstall and an advanced reinstall.

Simple reinstall: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Reinstall-Dropbox-desktop-app/td-p/253034

Advanced reinstall: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

The simple reinstall did not fix the issue and my desktop app still continually quits unexpectedly.  The advanced reinstall worked, for now, and my desktop app is running okay.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting us know the solution was the advanced reinstall for you @Vidyuddeva . 

Hello @FrustratedUser3. Apologies for any frustration.  I want to welcome you to the Community.

I can help with any Dropbox errors you might be getting. Feel free to add screenshots to this post, or create a ticket from each organization, if each is a different Dropbox account and provide me with ticket numbers.

I'd be glad to look into any issues personally and help you fix things. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?