cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox App with Ubuntu Properties and Advice?

Helpful | Level 5

So I am trying to create a lab environment where students would sync their dropbox accounts to the Ubuntu lab machines and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and have any tips that may be helpful and things that I may have overlooked. One thing I noticed is that because dropbox is mounted locally, it can fill up the Hard Drive very quickly if the students have a lot of files stored in their dropbox.

I noticed one thing is if I do selective syncing to fix this issue, but this can only be done user to user so I was wondering if there was a way to force the app to have a maximum storage space for each dropbox account, to prevent someone with 150 GB Dropbox account taking up all of the space from their first sync.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox App with Ubuntu Properties and Advice?

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you. I also found out that smart sync which would have been ideal isn't available for Linux. But discovered that rclone may work for this so am playing with that now. Thanks again. It isn't the solution I needed but is the solution to this question so I can close the thread now.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @tk912, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

At first, I wanted to mention that, you are right, selectively sync is user-based, but also device-based, so you can have different settings for different accounts and computers. 

You can also check out this article on the minimum requirements necessary to run the desktop app. 

In any case, I'd be more than happy to leave this thread open users who have had a similar experience or have any suggestions on how you can proceed. 

In the meantime, if anything else comes up, just give us another nudge. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Lusil thank you for the reply. How would I access the settings for selective sync for different accounts? I only saw for specific users on the app when I tried. I want to play around with the configurations but don't know where they are located.

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @tk912

Since selective sync is user and device-specific, you won't be able to do it from your end, each user will have to do it from their end. 

I understand this isn't the ideal reply you were looking for, but I hope it helps to some extent. 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you. I also found out that smart sync which would have been ideal isn't available for Linux. But discovered that rclone may work for this so am playing with that now. Thanks again. It isn't the solution I needed but is the solution to this question so I can close the thread now.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, and glad to hear that you were able to workaround your concern - awesome work! 

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?