cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi all,

Native Apple silicon support is now fully available. All users with Apple silicon devices will receive the native version of Dropbox automatically. If you would like to update your device manually, you can do so by clicking on the latest Stable Build and downloading the Offline Installer (Apple Silicon) file. For more information, visit the Dropbox Help Center.

If you need assistance with anything else, please feel free to create a new thread and our community team will be happy to assist.

View solution in original post

184 Replies 184

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Does the offline version work from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-117-3-356/td-p/499856 ?

However, reading some other web pages it looks like Rosetta may be a requirement for install. I cant seem to find any info on that on the help centre, however. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I get the same notice to install Rosetta. Maybe this is a problem with the installer vs the Dropbox app, but how to tell?

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I looks like you can use Get Info an an app via the Finder to see if it is Intel or Universal (M1). I did so for the 117 build recommended, and it says it is an Intel app. Does or does not Dropbox have a Universal version of the app native to Apple silicon? It does not seem so...

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No, I dont think it has any native apps as yet - the web pages certainly do not list native ones. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Charl B.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My entry-level M1 MacBook Air was delivered today.

One of the first things I do on a new machine is to install dropbox. I was crestfallen to learn that there is no native M1 port yet.

On this 8GB machine, Dropbox v117.4.378 is by far the heaviest RAM user: According to Activity Monitor, it's currently using just over 2GB !

I can understand that such a port is not a straight-forward undertaking, but could someone from Dropbox perhaps supply information on when such a thing might become available for testing?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Charl B.!

At the moment, we don't have any info on this to share, but thank you for sharing your interest in this.

If there are any updates, we'll make sure to keep you posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sjfarrell1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Honestly, the lack of an update for native M1 support has lead to me finally cancelling my Dropbox Plus subscription after 7 years. The desktop app has gotten incredibly intrusive and slow, and at this point doesn't really do anything I need that iCloud doesn't. End of an era!

here2complain
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a MacBook Air with 8GB ram and concur that Dropbox is a hog. Would a native M1 version help reduce memory usage? If so I really hope Dropbox is going to release one. As others have stated if Dropbox gets to be too hungry with memory I'll need to consider alternatives. Perhaps there are tips to cut back on memory? Maybe selective syncing out stuff would help?

calstanford
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same here. Dropbox has become a fat boring product that doesn't move or advance. All I want is file sync not weird apps that don't do anything. And not running natively on M1 after a half year is inexcusable. 

My subscription will run out in two months. Have cancelled.

Need more support?