cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

ByronS
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Lori, 

Thanks for the update.

However, the main reasons people are upgrading to the M1 chipset is to have the benefits of the M1 native apps.

Dropbox is a key app and the fact that after many months the M1 Native app still has not been released can only be contributed to the fact that this is not seen as a critical priority by the Dropbox management. 
https://isapplesiliconready.com has listed so many apps that have been able to make the transition successfully.

Just like many other paying customers and Dropbox ambassadors, if the Native M1 Dropbox version has not been released by the end of this month (May 2021), we’ll have no other choice but to move our company to an other supplier.

Thanks for escalating this issue, Byron

wmac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Me too.

Just upgraded to Apple M1 Silicon and being a Dropbox paying user for years. Here Dropbox is consuming a lot of computer resources...

If Dropbox doesn't come out with a native M1 app I will cut the subscription moving to something else.

Greg

nedludd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am unable to install dropbox on my new "M1" Mac Mini (9.1) running OS 11.3.1.

I was unable to open the installer, I used "Unarchiver" successfully.

I added Dropbox to "Full Disc Access" in Security & Privacy.

I added myself to "Sharing &  Permissions" in Dropbox.app info but the option to make me the owner was greyed out.

I checked "Open using Rosetta" but this was not helpful.

What should I do?

error message below

You do not have permission to open the application “Dropbox.app”.

Contact your computer or network administrator for assistance.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @nedludd, wishing you a great Monday! 

I've moved your question under this thread, since it echoes the requests other users had. 

Can I ask if you've tried installing the Beta build to your device? 

If I were you, I'd also try the offline installer of the stable build, to see if this does the trick.

I hope this helps.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ZHD
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same here. I'm still waiting for an official M1 Dropbox app. Dropbox is not optimized and uses to much RAM

Just as a hint: The first request was from February 2021 and still nothing happened. You had now over 6months time (you know since 2020 that the M1 macboocs are on the way). From a company like dropbox I would expect to deliver such app

Mannaffolki
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
A timeline would be nice indeed. Otherwise Dropbox can just ‘stay in development’ for years on end.

Make it happen dropbox. It should already have been here a long time ago!

nps-ca
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

We get it, your devs used 3rd party libraries libffi, libphyton and likely more - we get some of those weren't ready for Apple Silicon.  However as I transition this week the ONLY app/service that is running all the time on my system under Rosetta, is Dropbox.  Seriously, everything else on my system is already running native in either public releases or beta - all those devs/services and even HW devices dealt through their issues the last few months.

Is asking for a timeline for a beta too much - considering many of us are annual subscription customers? 

It was *JUNE 2020* when Apple announced the transition, Nov 2020 when full toolkits were available.   This has me wondering why new features like Paper were a priority over servicing the millions of PAYING customers where you've had sufficient time.  You guys couldn't purchase a few dev systems early on?  Seems more like poor product management and product planning vs developer resources.

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Registering my interest for an M1-Native version of Dropbox here too. Please!!! Otherwise I have to leave Dropbox for my business after many years.

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@Megan can you please give some answer when the Dropbox version for M1 Apple chip is ready?

Please send not the answer: we are working on it.

But send your planning, your deadline.

Because Apple will remove Rosetta 2 software earlier and then dropbox will not work anymore: https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/03/03/upcoming-macos-113-update-may-remove-rosetta-2-in-some-re... 

So at this moment I think I have to leave all my business files and folders from dropbox (paid), because I want to be sure that everything will be working for the future.

Please give me an answer with your planning.

cmagk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I wish dropbox would give us a real answer, it can't be too hard to port it come on guys.

Need more support?