cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

ericnix
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Any further updates on this?  My Dropbox subscription is about to expire, and given the amount of resources the app used with my 2012 iMac, I will likely cancel my subscription if there isn't an AS/Universal app available soon.

Fabio L.
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

I am asking as well at least some information about the development of M1 support. I know google drive for Mac is now in beta for M1 with workarounds, so at least people there let us know how the process is going on.

sebax
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is outrageous. You guys in Dropbox really haven't been able to fix this already!  The amount I pay for the premium dropbox service makes me wonder if its not time to change the service for another one. I love you guys but this is definitely not OK

xjayxx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It seams the Code-Base of dropbox ist not good. Usually its a matter of max. few days updating to universal with M1 and Intel Support. 

to exaggerate: 1 click on Compile universal that it. Then fix the bugs and that's it. 1 week for an update that could have been done last summer with the Apple Silicon Dev Kit. 

They just don't care or they are just Lazy. 

Its a F***ing File sync App not a huge app like Photoshop. But even Adobe managed the M1 compatibility with most of their apps. 

Mannaffolki
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Agreed!

We've gone yet another couple of weeks with no news.

At this point I wonder whether this non-communication means Dropbox can't fix it or they are indeed just too lazy and won't do it until it's too late for most of us.

My dropbox is running out in 6 months, but if they continue barely communicating — and when they do, they're not saying anything relevant — I'll change to a different platform even before that time runs out.

Get your act together, Dropbox! We are paying customers and you just leave us in the cold.

@Megan 

ChrisBoxDrop
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I really think that they just didn't/couldn't plan for it in the code. I am not sure m1 support would change anything as it is

xjayxx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If their code is only half good this can be implemented by an intern. Almoste like this: "compile for Universal Binary" and then bugfixing and recompiling. It is only a frontend app. Dropbox is mainly on the server side...

Even Photoshop, Illustrator etc. with their Dinosaur old code are capable of doing that. 

David1221
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Every time I try to install Rosetta I get the same error. There could be a conflict between the Dropbox app and the installer, but how can I tell?

Macpro
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Something like, you can expect a beta in the next two months would be enough, but this silence seems to me a lack of respect towards customers. The Apple development kit could be obtained a year ago and I do not understand how a company of the size of Dropbox has not been able to adapt in a whole year when the present and the future of the Apple platform is Apple Silicon.

Need more support?