cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

For the record ...  DropBox stock is a buy right now. js 🙂

enrvuk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes because a proper product company will probably be buying them soon for small change. Hopefully somebody with a clue.

Rob T.5
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

No company with enough money to buy Dropbox will have the technical ability to fix Dropbox. (at least in the short-term)

enrvuk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
You don’t buy companies based on the short term.

jwlimages
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I cannot find a way to start a new thread.

So I just configured a new Macbook Pro 16 with the M1 Max chip. I ran Migration Assistant from my old MBPro, but then realized I needed to change my short User name (& therefore the name of my Home folder). I got that done successfully, but Dropbox can't seem to deal with this. It keeps throwing up a message about needing to change permissions for {former name of Home folder} - this is a simple window seeking input of user password, but no option to edit folder name or otherwise tell Dropbox which folder to use. Of course when I enter the password nothing happens, because in fact the old folder name Dropbox cites is long gone from my machine.

I have stripped out all Dropbox-related files from the hard disk, re-downloaded & reinstalled Dropbox, but nothing changes this behavior. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might fix this? (oh yes, in every other respect this machine is a dream! and no other apps seem to have trouble with the changed User name)

Thanks,

John

Rob T.5
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey John,

I had the same problem from my migration. Oh, Dropbox... enjoy your inertia!

Here's how I fixed it, requires some terminal time so tread lightly

1. create an alternative admin user

2. reboot

3. login as the alternative user, not your main user

4. open the terminal fix permissions and relocate, depending on which folders are linked. I only linked my Desktop, Documents to Dropbox for auto-backups. You will need to change these commands for your account. If you do not understand, don't run these commands! (readlink Documents is to prevent you from operating on files that are not symlinks)

$ cd /Users/yourusername/Dropbox

$ OLD_TARGET=$(readlink Documents)

$ readlink Documents && sudo chflags -h nouchg Documents

$ readlink Documents && rm Documents

& cp -a $OLD_TARGET ~/

Do this for the remaining symlink folders you need to fix.

5. Log back in as your normal user, setup the backup process again. Make sure to rename your computer before doing this. My new MacBook kept the same name as my old one, so the new Dropbox backup directory was oddly named.

jwlimages
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Rob,

Hmm, I think I will need to learn a bit more about the specific references in Terminal before trying this. But thank you very much for this reply.

John

FidarStrange
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What did you migrate to? 

jwlimages
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

"What did you migrate to?"

-- I was migrating from OSX Mojave to Monterey. Quite a jump, as it turned out.

I ended up wiping the disk, starting over completely. I discovered that in fact I had not caused the renaming of the Home folder/smaller User Name - that may have been related to my migrating across numerous OSX upgrades.

I solved the Dropbox issue by deleting anything related to Dropbox immediately after creating my boot drive, then changing the 'short name' of my Home folder, and only then re-installing Dropbox. All good now!

sedwards68
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Seriously? Yikes. I just received my new 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro and can't get the Dropbox installer to work. I appears I need Rosetta. Come on, Dropbox. Don't drop the ball. 

Need more support?