cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple silicon - Do's and Don'ts??

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

xmarc999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I get that Dropbox does not support Apple Silicon Macs AKA M1 Macs. Is there any list of what works and what doesn't work? I reorganized some folders on my MacBook Pro M1 and those changes just don't sync, meaning they don't show up when I log into dropbox.com and they don't show up on my old MBP. 

Some people seem to be able to open the Dropbox desktop app using Rosetta, but I can't open it at all.

I had been accessing my DB folders through Finder, but if syncing is hit or miss, I'm concerned I'm going to lose or damage critical files.

Any idea what is safe?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @xmarc999, thanks for posting on our Community.

At the moment, indeed, the Dropbox app should work with Rosetta. Are you having this issue while using it that way?

Do you have a Dropbox icon in your menu bar, that can give us some info on the sync status of the app?

Are you perhaps getting any error messages?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

xmarc999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In researching this further, a lot came up.

First, my setup: macOS Monterey
Version 12.1
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021)
Chip Apple M1 Max
Memory 32 GB

Despite being in my Login Items, Dropbox was not consistently starting at boot. Re-booted into Safe Mode and manually started Dropbox. *Now* I got a login window. So likely was not fully logged in before for whatever reason. Logged in. Went through System Preferences and made sure Dropbox had all the access it needed (at least one access was turned off in Security and Privacy). Restarted in normal mode. 

Dropbox icon in menu bar now badged with numbers. Status shows several thousand updates pending (!). Let it sync. 

Logged into Dropbox via web. Online view now shows updated files and folder organization.

So it looks like DB was in some odd state which was causing problems at startup. Everything now seems to work as I need it.

Thanks for pinging me on this.

Jericho
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Look into StrongSync from ExpanDrive.  It seems to work fine on my new Apple silicon MacBook Pro Max.  Just installed it a few days ago.  Access to DropBox is a little different through StrongSync, but it gets me there.  

xmarc999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the tip, Jericho. I think using Migration Assistant to move over from Big Sur/Intel to Monterey/Apple Silicon did not do justice to DB. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have deleted DB completely and reinstalled it.

Kudos to StrongSync for being the first to implement Apple's File Provider extension. And for their new support for DB. Having said that, I'm not fully sure what its functions are.  I'll have to look into it; I have started to look into Expandrive also

Jericho
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am under the impression that ExpanDrive does not work with Apple silicon.

iTechnology
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

is there a way to download the M! version rather than the default version and changing the setting for early release?

xmarc999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It looks like the early release of Apple Silicon DB is available now. 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/apple-silicon-support

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all - I just dropped by to let you know that, starting today, native Apple silicon support will begin automatically rolling out, with availability to all users in the coming weeks.

While this rollout is in progress, users can receive immediate access to native support by opting in to our early releases. For more information, you can visit this Help Center article.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi all,

Native Apple silicon support is now fully available. All users with Apple silicon devices will receive the native version of Dropbox automatically. If you would like to update your device manually, you can do so by clicking on the latest Stable Build and downloading the Offline Installer (Apple Silicon) file. For more information, visit the Dropbox Help Center.

If you need assistance with anything else, please feel free to create a new thread and our community team will be happy to assist.

Need more support?