cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Together we are level 16 😎  Executive bathroon types.

ilrian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The dropbox app on my MBA M1 took 1.5 GB from my RAM while it sits idle for more than an hour. Will follow up with a screenshot.

ilrian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I uninstalled mine that I got using the default online installer and tried the recommended offline installation. The dropbox app alone still took about the same amount of RAM even if it's not syncing. 

RAM consumed while idleRAM consumed while idle

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 3.11.42 AM.png

Fabio L.
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

And from today we have also Adobe Illustrator ready for M1:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-for-apple-silicon.html

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Installed it first thing this morning. And if Adobe can have a number of their most complex apps ready for M1, then…

In all fairness, though, Adobe bloated their Creative Cloud app with so much extra functionality, in a similar fashion as Dropbox did with their Sync client app, that Adobe has also yet to produce a beta for M1 that allows their M1 apps to be installed on a system without Rosetta 2. Kinda ironic, me thinks, when the Sync client, or in Adobe’s case the install client, become more complex than the application(s) itself.

sjfarrell1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sorry @JOfE, there's nothing 'deranged' about people not renewing a subscription for a product that's no longer meeting their needs. Thats... thats pretty silly, dude. At least they bothered to leave a reply here so that if Dropbox cares, they can see why. 

Robert S.86
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I finally realized today that the memory issues I've been having on my M1 MacMini are due to a memory-hungry DropBox....just like others in this forum have noted.  CleanMyMac keeps alerting me that DropBox is RAM-Heavy....it's using 2.5Gb of RAM just sitting idle. I am hoping one of these days DropBox will fix this as I rely on, perhaps too heavily, DropBox for all my day-to-day files. Fortunately, I also have a local hard drive and another cloud service back up since it's not good to rely on just one.

Jann G.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Last week I "un-subscribed" to "dropbox premium" or whatever-the-heck-name they're calling it now.

Uninstalling.

Keeping the "free" tier for my iPhone - cos Apple ensures it runs correctly...but that's all!

I moved to iCloud Drive and have ZERO complaints!

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I wasn't suggesting it was deranged to for a customer to leave a product that didn't suit theirs needs. That would be an odd thing to say. I'd still be on CoralDRAW. 

My point is that a product's development follows the needs of the majority of its customers. Threaten or leave all you want.

Definingtime
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I would like to express my interest in this getting done as well. And they better do it soon… or at least announce that it’s coming. Otherwise I will be hitting copy and paste right into iCloud waiting a few hours and immediately unsubscribing.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jat1971 Helpful | Level 6
    cuddy58 New member | Level 2
    Michael B.10 Experienced | Level 13
    afsd Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?