cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox + Bitlocker issue

Dropbox + Bitlocker issue

pierostz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello there,

I have several computers using Dropbox for Business with the configuration below.

- OS SSD where the Windows 10 Dropbox app is installed.

- Data HDD where the Dropbox folder is located (Internal HDD).

- Both drives encrypted with Bitlocker.

What I am experiencing is after  a restart the computer asks to Re-link the Dropbox folder, as if the internal HDD is not there. The HDD though is normally accessible without any issues.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @pierostz, Is BitLocker auto-unlock turned on for the HDD drive (where your Dropbox folder is located)? 

Capture.png

If the Re-link Dropbox message still appears after turning on BitLocker auto-unlock, there is a lag between your HDD drive mount/BitLoccker unlock and Dropbox startup. In that case, only solution is to disable Dropbox auto startup with the system/OS, and lauch Dropbox manually once the drive is mounted and BitLocker is unlocked. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @pierostz, Is BitLocker auto-unlock turned on for the HDD drive (where your Dropbox folder is located)? 

Capture.png

If the Re-link Dropbox message still appears after turning on BitLocker auto-unlock, there is a lag between your HDD drive mount/BitLoccker unlock and Dropbox startup. In that case, only solution is to disable Dropbox auto startup with the system/OS, and lauch Dropbox manually once the drive is mounted and BitLocker is unlocked. 

pierostz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey there Elixir,

I appreciate your reply.

Auto-unlock is turned on normally. So I guess the problem here is the delay to mount the HDD.

The solution you are providing is a workaround I guess, but I would love to find  better approach to this. 

Thanks

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

If you do not want to manually launch Dropbox, you may use task scheduler or another third party app to delay Dropbox startup (or use some other ways like writing a script or finding a registry hack). You may try this method posted here - http://www.yanzzee.com/2014/10/delay-dropbox-startup-in-windows.html

pierostz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Elixir, I can't thank you enough for your replies.

Unfortunately not having a domain controller in the said network forces me to implement the solution to each and every one computer in the network. The hours overhead is something I don't want to consider right now.

I guess I am going to speak with Dropbox support directrly to see if this is a bug of some sort that can be resolved internally.

Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pierostz New member | Level 2
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?