cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Constantly Pinging

Dropbox Constantly Pinging

TDOL
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox installed on my desktop and it's constantly calling home, like every few seconds. Why?? I have syncing turned off for the time being. In the past I've blocked it with LS just because there's so much unnecessary activity going on, but now I'm using it again, and it's driving me nuts. What is Dropbox doing exactly?

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox Constantly Pinging

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @TDOL, thanks for reaching out to us here!

The desktop app monitors the files within the Dropbox folder and in your account online for any changes. 

This is what allow the app to be able to sync any changes, additions or deletions to your connected devices as soon as they happen, to make sure you're always up to date.

Perhaps I could suggest pausing sync, which should stop the app checking for changes. When you need to sync any files, it's easier to then resume sync than restarting the app.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TDOL
Explorer | Level 3

As I said, I turned off syncing, and it didn't help. But I've since found another way to fix it.

Thanks, Kirk

Daphne
Dropboxer

I see, thanks for getting back to me here @TDOL!

If you need anything else, I'd be more than happy to help so please feel free to give me a nudge here anytime.

If you have the time, would you mind sharing how you managed to fix this on your side? It might be helpful for others who have the same question as you did.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?