cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Desktop App unusable after changing user name

Dropbox Desktop App unusable after changing user name

jonasdahl
New member | Level 2

A few months ago I changed my username on my MacBook Pro. Little did I know that it completely wrecked my dropbox Desktop App. The App, whenever launched, kept searching for the old user name / dropbox / folder path. So it wouldn't open, telling me the path was not found, but there was also no way to change said path. I deleted the app multiple times, removed every trace from the library folder I could find, reinstalled it, but every time it kept searching for the old user path. So, I created a new user with the old user name. And under that user name, I could finally reinstall the App, open it and change the dropbox folder path.

So, this solution worked for a day. What happened then, is that the app under my account (with the changed user name) just does not open at all. No error message, nothing. When I click on it, nothing happens. Under the other user (old user name) the app opens and everything works fine. But that's not what I want. There has to be a way to use the dropbox app under my normal account. I already installed and reinstalled multiple times. Nothing. What can I do? I'm at a loss now, this has been going on for 4 months and I can't seem to figure it out. 

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox Desktop App unusable after changing user name

Rich
Super User II

@jonasdahl wrote:

A few months ago I changed my username on my MacBook Pro. ... The App, whenever launched, kept searching for the old user name / dropbox / folder path.

You need to perform a complete reinstall. Refer to Stefani's post in the following thread:

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?