cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Finder Extension on Mac Resource Consumption

Dropbox Finder Extension on Mac Resource Consumption

dropitoverthere
Explorer | Level 4

Since upgrading to Big Sur, I have started noticing Dropbox Finder Extension occasionally spawning multiple instances and consuming tons of resources.  This ends up causing my mac to become unresponsive.  It seems like this is a bug, and I would love to know the best path to submit a bug report.

28 Replies 28

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @dropitoverthere, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Could you send us a screenshot of what you're seeing? 

Have you noticed this happening at a specific point in time, for example, when you open files from your Dropbox folder?

Let me know and we'll go from there, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dropitoverthere
Explorer | Level 4

@lusil You can see the multiple DFE (Dropbox Finder Extension) processes being spawned.  They seem to keep multiplying.  My best guess is when I use the save dialog in Firefox maybe that is when they start being spawned.

Dropbox Finder Extension Spawning and Consuming Resources.jpg

redseb
Explorer | Level 3

The same on my machine. iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, 2019) with Big Sur 11.2.1 and Dropbox v115.4.601.

Additionally after a sleep/wake cycle the Finder-Integration disappears.

Reinstalling DB, fixing permissions etc. Did not work.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for letting me know, @dropitoverthere, and thanks for joining us on this thread, @redseb!

Could you confirm if you installed the desktop app with admin privileges?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

redseb
Explorer | Level 3

Yes. I installed it with admin privileges. All accounts on this machine, are admin accounts.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Could you let me know at which point in time you notice this behavior?

Do you also find that the desktop app has a high CPU usage during this?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

redseb
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil,

since it's random, I can't replicate it reliably, but it most often happens after the mac went to sleep.

The Multiple Finder Integration instances are happening all the time, also while the integration still works.

See here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq5ycg83pbvjb1g/Bildschirmfoto%202021-02-15%20um%2021.28.02.png?dl=0

Best,

Sebastian

dropitoverthere
Explorer | Level 4

@Lusil I will need to check whether CPU usage has been affected on the next occurrence.  I did install using admin privileges.  

My best guess is when I use the save dialog in Firefox maybe that is when they start being spawned.

dropitoverthere
Explorer | Level 4

DFE CPU Usage.jpg

@Lusil DFE does not appear to be a high consumer of CPU when the processes multiply.  Although, they do have a very noticeable impact of causing the mouse pointer to change to the spinning color wheel while the system is unresponsive.  It's possible CPU is high at this point, but it's something that is difficult to observe or measure given the lack of responsiveness.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marksc111 Helpful | Level 6
    kbuicker Helpful | Level 5
    pk_dragon Helpful | Level 5
    Wvp Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?