cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox GUI gone after Debian 10 Buster Upgrade

Dropbox GUI gone after Debian 10 Buster Upgrade

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I used to run Debian 9.x with Kernel 5.1.x with GNOME desktop and Dropbox GUI installed from the Dropbox website (deb file). Usually in the bottom left corner there was a little box to find the Dropbox icon, and to configure it.
After Buster update I still can start Dropbox and see it in "Processes" doing its work, but the GUI cannot be accessed anymore. I did reinstall the lastest Dropbox deb file and made a reboot, same issue. Dropbox has gone invisible ..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Solution found:

Disable GNOME Extension TopIcons Plus and instead install and enable gnome-shell-extension-appindicator, reboot, done.

https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-appindicator

Seems that TopIcons Plus is not working in Debian 10 due to the newer GNOME version.

Thanks to everyone with ideas and suggestions ! :innocent:

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Pummelchen - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Even though this specific distro is not officially supported, could you check if you're also running the Topicons extension (as this might be needed to get the tray icon)? 

For a complete list of our requirements for linux machines, you can also see below: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements#linux

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Walter,

topicons seems to be incompatible with Buster. So I tried topicons plus and got the Dropbox icon back:

apt install firefox-esr
Start Firefox
Goto GNOME Extension website
Install GNOME Browser Extension
Install & Enable GNOME Extension TopIcons Plus
Remove previous Dropbox installation
Reboot
apt install dropbox

Dropbox Icon will apprear on the top bar but doesnt respond to any clicks. Left click, right click or house hover over the icon lead to no actions, no popup windows or anything. Just nothing happens.

Debian 10 uses Wayland instead of X which seems to cause all sorts of trouble.

I'm not sure if the issue is from me upgrading from Debian 9 to 10, but I will replicate this later tonight.

DB.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Pummelchen,

I will share some my experiences, may be similar to Yours. Sometime ago, every try to open Dropbox icon context menu for first time after service start, result in partially visible menu or entirely invisible. In addition it was impossible to close it using simple click on empty place or something like. It was need opening new window or some other big change in the desktop environment, so the 'dummy' menu to disappear. After that Dropbox menu appear as usual. It was happening only for Dropbox menu. For latest releases seems that's gone. I don't know which one is Your version, but You can still check for that - just to be sure. For example, after first try to open context menu, open and close one more console window for example and after that try the menu again.

Seems You are using virtual installation. So, I will advise You - use mapping of host's Dropbox folder as a virtual drive in the virtual machine. In such a way You will keep lower Your network traffic and more 'natural' and fast transfer between the host and the virtual machine.:wink:

Good luck!

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Seems to be a more serious issue:

I made a fresh new clean installtion of Debian 10 in VMware using these steps

• boot from debian-10.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso
  • in the "Software Selection" page, unselect everything (nothing ticked)
  • finished setup and login as su
  • Install GNOME with: apt install gnome-core
  • boot into to GNOME desktop
  • Download latest Dropbox deb file, install, and confirm the Dropbox website authorization
  • Start Dropbox

Same issue now, you can see Dropbox running and beeing very busy, but no icon is visible anywhere.

DB1.png

I will test one more thing, by ticking GNOME as the Desktop choice in "Software Selection". So I will reinstall on a clean formatted disk and report back.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Opp... Hmm... @Pummelchen,

One note here. The Dropbox debian package is little bit buggy :dizzy_face:. There are no any dependencies ceclared! So, You have to ensure that everything declared in system dependencies page is installed, the package manager can't ensure this (dependencies - missing)!

Nonetheless, what about direct mapping? It's much more convenient (at least I think so). You wouldn't need to install anything.

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same issue with GNOME selected during setup:

DB.png

In Debian 9 there was no requirement to install dependencies, it just worked using the deb file.

I manually installed the dependencies recommended above but it does not change anything (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements#linux)

Walter, can you please escalate this to be checked on higher level ? Dropbox on Debian needs to work out of the box, supported or not.

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thx for your suggestions. Yes, compared to Windows it is a nightmare to get Dropbox working on Linux.

Direct mapping doesnt work if you share the Dropbox folder over SMB/FTP in a LAN where thousands of files are moved per day. The mapping software (like Expandrive, NetDrive etc.) at some point will get messed up. The Dropbox client itself, can keep up with that quite well. Rsync may work but I really want the original Dropbox GUI to make things simple to manage.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

I use Dropbox in Ubuntu and (if we ignore the relatively bad support) it work fine.

Seem I wasn't clear enough about the mapping. I haven't used VmWare, but in VirtualBox, for example, without using any external tools, You cat select some folder in host file system and map content as content of a virtual drive in the virtual machine. I don't believe that in VmWare missing such functionality. In such a way single Dropbox installation (per real machine) can serve multiple Os-es, without additional Dropbox installations at all. That's what I mean.

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Solution found:

Disable GNOME Extension TopIcons Plus and instead install and enable gnome-shell-extension-appindicator, reboot, done.

https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-appindicator

Seems that TopIcons Plus is not working in Debian 10 due to the newer GNOME version.

Thanks to everyone with ideas and suggestions ! :innocent:

Need more support?