cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox GUI gone after Debian 10 Buster Upgrade

Dropbox GUI gone after Debian 10 Buster Upgrade

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I used to run Debian 9.x with Kernel 5.1.x with GNOME desktop and Dropbox GUI installed from the Dropbox website (deb file). Usually in the bottom left corner there was a little box to find the Dropbox icon, and to configure it.
After Buster update I still can start Dropbox and see it in "Processes" doing its work, but the GUI cannot be accessed anymore. I did reinstall the lastest Dropbox deb file and made a reboot, same issue. Dropbox has gone invisible ..

11 Replies 11

Pummelchen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, you can do the same in VMware. However my scenario is different:

Host OS only uses Dropbox to sync VMware machines. One Debian VM syncs all Dropbox data (except the VMware machines) and provides that Dropbox folder to the LAN via SMB/FTP. Having Dropbox on each server/workstation creates a mess, so we switched to a centralized solution with SMB/FTP and use 1 Dropbox instance as a background cloud sync.

The benefit is that the VMware host can crash, and I can quickly deploy the Dropbox VM to a new server and do not need to resync everything. Its much faster to manage a LAN this way.

oliviercailloux
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Does not work for me, using Debian stable (Buster), before or after installing (with apt-get) gnome-shell-extension-appindicator.

Dropbox icon is completely invisible, so I can’t access any of its functionality. (Daemon still works.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

oliviercailloux New member | Level 2
    Pummelchen Helpful | Level 6
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?