cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox+Google integrations (for gDocs) doesn't work for this edgecase, need help

Dropbox+Google integrations (for gDocs) doesn't work for this edgecase, need help

RobSjaras
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

So a few months back I finally switched back to Dropbox and was pleasantly surprised that Dropbox now have Google Docs integration. Only thing is, it doesn't work for me 😞

The problem is that when I created my email with Google it was: johnbappleseed@gmail.com (this is an example email, just to get the point across). The way the email is spelled has given me a lot of trouble because people forget the middle initial in the mail. Since then I've been forced to change my Gmail settings so I always send mails from john.b.appleseed@gmail.com (notice mail has periods in it). The amazing thing about gmail is that you own all the different variants with periods in the mail, if you have a @gmail.com account, this means that both the johnbappleseed@gmail.com and john.b.appleseed@gmail.com emails are identical according to Google. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150?hl=en

So that means my Dropbox account also uses periods in the email now, so people don't forget there's an S in the middle. But here comes the problem, Google will say my actual Gmail account is the one without periods in it, this then means that Dropbox doesn't see my email with periods to be the same as the one google shows (the one without periods).

So here I'm just really hoping Dropbox staff sees this post and is able to make an exception in the system for people with @gmail.com accounts! Being forced to use my Dropbox account without the periods in the mail will only create confusion for me and the people I work with!

P.S. I've tried everything from both changing my dropbox mail back to without periods, connecting it and then later changing the dropbox mail back to periods again, it just broke the connection.

Thanks,

Robert

Edit: Also tried different browsers, both with and without plugins and also in each browser's incognito mode, no luck!

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox+Google integrations (for gDocs) doesn't work for this edgecase, need help

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @RobSjaras, thanks for joining the Community!

When you attempt to connect your account to Google, are you using the j.s.smith email for the Google part of the link?

While Google might share the same inbox, the Dropbox site will see any differences in emails to be a separate account. Just to check, you don’t have another Dropbox account with the jssmith email?

Lastly, when signing into the Dropbox site after connecting, are you using the Google Sign-in, or the Dropbox login page, and what email are you using?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox+Google integrations (for gDocs) doesn't work for this edgecase, need help

RobSjaras
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

I'm using the j.s.smith gmail when connecting the Google account.

As for the amount of Dropbox accounts I have, I currently only have a single one, on my j.s.smith email.

When I sign into Dropbox, I use the Dropbox login page and here I use the j.s.smith email.

Thanks,

Robert

Jay
Dropboxer

On the login page, could you try the 'Sign in with Google' option using their button to see if you can create the files?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RobSjaras
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

I tried the 'login with google' option on the login page. It just took me straight to the page for creating a new account (which I didn't need 🙂 ).

But in inspiration of your suggestion, I tried going into my Dropbox.com account settings and looked under 'Connected Apps'. Here I found Google and connected it succesfully!

But I'm still stuck 😞 When I create a gdoc now I get the option to choose which folder to save it in.. and then it sends me over to a google page where I have to sign in again. I try signing in again, but it just loops me back to the same Google sign-in page 😞

Aka same error as I had in the beginning, but now I at least get to choose which folder the file goes in.. so it's at least some kind of progress!

Jay
Dropboxer

Just in case, could you try this on an incognito/private browsing window without any extensions running to ensure that the site isn't being blocked or prevented from loading data from other pages.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

RobSjaras
Explorer | Level 4

Just tried that as well, without any extensions, still getting the same results sadly 😞

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the details, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team now so they can investigate this in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?