cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox-Icon in Windows-Explorer not deletable after Deinstallation

Dropbox-Icon in Windows-Explorer not deletable after Deinstallation

ChristianDue
Explorer | Level 3

I'v cancelled my account and deinstalled Dropbox. In Windows Explorer there's still a dropbox folder that is not deleteable (No delete option in the context menu, dragging on the paper bin has no effect etc.). Only instead of the default Dropbox- oder Folder-Icon it it just has a White Rectangle / Blank Sheet for an icon.

How do I get rid of that folder? I've already re-installed dropbox and deinstalled it a second time with the same result.

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox-Icon in Windows-Explorer not deletable after Deinstallation

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @ChristianDue, I hope you're having a great Friday! 

You should be able to select the folder on your File Explorer, and then delete it either by clicking on the button on your keyboard, or selecting it from the content menu.

If you can't do this, have you tried re-starting your device? 

As for the white rectangle, can you please send me a screenshot of what you see, so I can look into this? 

Let me know how it goes! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ChristianDue
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

I can't delete the folder by selecting it an pressing the keyboard button. It has no effect. In the context menu (right click on the folder - I guess that's what you meant?!) is no delete option. Re-starting the notebook doesn't help.

dropbox-explorer.png

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @ChristianDue thank you for the screenshot! 

How about you search in the top right search bar for the Dropbox folder, to see if you would locate it like so, then try the same process to see how it goes?

Can you also send me another screenshot of what you see when you right click on the folder, then select "Properties"? 

Let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ChristianDue
Explorer | Level 3

@Megan I've tried to delete the search results with no success. What is new is, is that when I try to delete them now in the file explorer, I get an error message: "C:Users/Christian/Dropbox is not available. If the storage is located on this PC, make sure that the device or drive is connected and the data carrier is inserted and repeat the action. (...) If the storage loation will still not be found, it might be deleted or relocated."

I added a screenshot of the search results and the context menu

dropbox-suche-Screenshot.pngDropbox-Kontextmenu-Screenshot.jpg

dropbox-screenshot-error-message.png

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @ChristianDue! Could you try the steps of the advanced reinstall, after step 2 since you already uninstalled, to see if that helps?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    ChristianDue Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?