cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Icon missing form icon try in inux mate-desktop since dropbox 3.02

Dropbox Icon missing form icon try in inux mate-desktop since dropbox 3.02

Jorge C.
New member | Level 2

Dropbox Icon is missing from icon tray since 09 Dic

I guess that is from dropbox 3.02

I'm ussing mate desktop 1.8 on slackware 14.1 and dropbox was working properly for last year

Since 09 Dic for the first two days it appeared as an icon with black background ,
but today the icon is missing.
Some comment talks about to set QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE, but this
has no effect. Simply the icon is missing.
However dropbox is running and synchronized

Does I need to recompile caja-dropbox again ?

Thanks and regards.

8 Replies 8

Re: Dropbox Icon missing form icon try in inux mate-desktop since dropbox 3.02

Laurent B.
New member | Level 1

Hi!

Same issue here (Mate 1.8.1 + Ubuntu 14.04 Mini). Synchronisation works though, and icons (green tick, blue circling arrows) appears on folder icons in caja.

Any input?

Thanks

Kyle T.
New member | Level 1

I downgraded to Dropbox 2.10.52. I am also experiencing the intermittent tray icon disappearing in Dropbox 3.0.3. (Desktop environment is Xfce.)

Is there a bug tracker somewhere? I know we are not the only ones experiencing this problem. I would like to make sure that Dropbox (company) knows about this regression so they can fix it.

Source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dropbox/?comments=all

Ilya Z.
Explorer | Level 4

Same here (Linux Mint 17.1, MATE 1.8.1, Dropbox 3.0.3).
Caja icons overlays (ticks over files and folders) work perfectly as well as context menus. Still, tray icon loads every other time (if it does not show up and i try dropbox stop and then dropbox start -i, it shows up.

~/.xsession-errors shows the following:

Starting Dropbox...** Message: Initializing gksu extension...
Initializing caja-dropbox 0.7.1
Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py:50: RuntimeWarning: You have imported the Gtk 2.0 module.  Because Gtk 2.0 was not designed for use with introspection some of the interfaces and API will fail.  As such this is not supported by the pygobject development team and we encourage you to port your app to Gtk 3 or greater. PyGTK is the recomended python module to use with Gtk 2.0
warnings.warn(warn_msg, RuntimeWarning)
Dropbox isn't running!
Done!

Ilya Z.
Explorer | Level 4

BTW, forgot to add that Dropbox version 2.x used to accept systemwide icon theme, but after update to 3.x it uses only the icon from ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.0.3/images/hicolor/16x16/status (and when replacing the icons there - with same filetype and resolution - tray icon never appears unless I restore the original icon files).

Laurent B.
New member | Level 1

Icon is back! I don't know what ever happened. It's different though, it's now a white cardboard box with coloured overlay for syncing/synchonised.

All fine now, just don't know what happened.

Laurent B.
New member | Level 1

Hi!

I've been too quick on this one. The (new type) icon appears from time to time. When it doesn't show, I still can see a vertical black line where it should belong. If I click on the very black line, it shows the contect menu.

Any update?

Madpentiste
Explorer | Level 4
I'm using Ubuntu-Mate 14.04, installed on several computers, and I have on some (but not all, suprisingly) the same problem: while caja-dropbox is launched and the files are adequately synchronized (and appear as such with the appropriate emblems in the dropbox folder opened via caja), no applet, only a gray square on the lauchbar located where I should get the applet. The only thing that worked to fix this was to launch caja-dropbox in sudo mode (after stopping caja-dropbox in normal mode). So for the first use, in order to check that the trick works: $ caja-dropbox stop $ sudo caja-dropbox start For the following uses, modify the automatic launch of dropbox at startup via menu System > Preferences > Applications at startup: original command: dropbox start -i new command: xterm -e sudo caja-dropbox start -i

Madpentiste
Explorer | Level 4

I found another workaround : it works with the command

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start  

you can make this a systematic command by editing the command that runs at session startup (System > Preferences > Applications at startup) and the command in the Software/Applications menu (System > Preferences > Main Menu). You obiously do not need dropbox stop if dropbox is not already running.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Madpentiste Explorer | Level 4
    Laurent B. New member | Level 1
    Ilya Z. Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?