cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Install Completely Slows Down iMac

Dropbox Install Completely Slows Down iMac

Rosemary B.1
New member | Level 2

I have been running Dropbox (paid version) on multiple Apple computers.  And I love it.

But when I run Dropbox on my 2017 iMac it completely slows down the computer and for every task/click/file open, I get the Apple spinning wheel.  It takes forever for the computer to shut down. I can barely use the computer in this state.

I have reinstalled the OS twice with no change. 

Then I took the computer to YeahMac and they could immediately see a file structure problem. I had them completely wipe the computer, reinstall the current OS,  Microsoft Office and Slack.  No problem so far.  No spinning wheel.

Then, I downloaded, installed Dropbox and started to sync and the problem immediately re-appeared.

I uninstalled Dropbox but the problem didn't go away and I suspect there is still Dropbox code on my system somewhere or files are corrupted.  

After reading on the forum I tried pausing sync but that didn't fix the problem.

Can someone provide suggestions on what steps I should take next?  

Thank you

Rosemary

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox Install Completely Slows Down iMac

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Rosemary B.1

I'd be more than happy to help - let's see what we can find!

Could you let me know if you've checked this article out which suggests some ideas on how to tackle high CPU caused by the desktop app? Maybe one of them will do the trick.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rosemary B.1
New member | Level 2

Update on this issue:

Dropbox support told me I was using a beta version of their software.  However, it still hasn't fixed the problem and it may be that there is still an issue from the beta version on my iMac. I will be resetting the computer to factory settings and starting again. 

It's so odd that 3 other Macs I run Dropbox on do not have this problem and they would all be running the beta software.

In case this might help anyone else, I'm copying their reply below.

I took a look into your linked devices, and it appears that you are running a beta (or experimental) build of the Dropbox desktop application regarding the device that you mentioned. As beta builds are still in the testing process, you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience.

As a first step to isolate the issue, I would highly recommend that you install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application.

To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Log in to Dropbox using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @Rosemary B.1!

In the meantime, I've made sure to pass your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this matter for you. 

I'd recommend continuing troubleshooting with them via email to keep the investigation efficient. 

In any case, please let us know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?