cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Installer Won't Lunch on Windows 7

Dropbox Installer Won't Lunch on Windows 7

fedefiorini
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So the tittle tells you guys pretty much everything. I've just made a clean install of Windows 7 (Home Premium) on my girfriends laptop since I putted an SSD drive. I installed everything with any trouble but this is driving me crazy. I downloaded the dropbox installer but it won't start. I mean the confirmation message of executing the file appears, but after that doesn't happen and I mean ANYTHING. The window dissapear and there is no instalator process running, no error messages, just anything.

I thing I readed every post about this and I can't reach a solution. I tried all of this:

- Deactivate the antivirus (I'm using Avast Free) and the windows firewall

- Try to install it from an offline installer (same thing happened, just disappear after first confirmation "are you sure to run..." window)

- Try to execute the installer with administrator privileges and in compatibility mode

- Try to install it in Safe Mode and in Safe Mode w/network

- Try to download the installer from a different laptop copy to my girfriend's one in a pendrive

- I also did a CCleaner registry check and nothing came up

- The only thing it happen after this non-install is that in %LOCALAPPDATA% folder a Dropbox folder appears with another folder in it call "crash" or "crash reports" and it's empty. Obviously I tried delete and also not-delete the folder after every attempt.

And honestly I'm running out of ideas. I don't want to make another clean Windows 7 installation since all the other installer (Firefox, Chrome, Spotify, the AV, Autocad, ect) won't make any issue. Also I can't upgrade to Windows 10 since the laptop (a Pavilion dv7 HP) isn't compatible and it has the Win7 OEM original.

So if anyone can help me with this it'll sooo much apreciated it.

Thanks in advance guys,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update @fedefiorini, I'm glad to hear that!

Thanks for sharing the details of that here too, as I'm sure this will be helpful for anyone else who might be having trouble with this too.

I'll be just a post away if you need anything - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @fedefiorini, thanks for reaching out!

Can you check if there are any traces of Dropbox listed in the locations under step 4 of the advanced reinstall instructions here too?

If so, please then follow the rest of the instructions listed there to try install the app.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fedefiorini
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Daphne, first of all, thank you for taking the time and answer me.

Well, I looked and followed all the steps detailed ther before writting my message buy there was no luck. Anyway, I manage to solve this, I accidentally choose "no" in one of my tries when I executed the installer (on that message that tells you if you are sure to proceed with administrator privileges) and the installer returns me a message that says Dropbox can also be installed without the administrator privileges, if I want to go on, so I press yes and it went perfect.

The online installer works and I was able to log in and sync everything. So is still a mistery but after all it works, the laptop has only one user and is an administrator one.

So, it seems to be solved, buy I don´t know why.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update @fedefiorini, I'm glad to hear that!

Thanks for sharing the details of that here too, as I'm sure this will be helpful for anyone else who might be having trouble with this too.

I'll be just a post away if you need anything - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

marcelachaves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Where are these instructions? I can't seem to see them on this page? I'm having the exact same issue!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @marcelachaves, are you trying to install Dropbox on a company-managed device, or is it a personal device?

Have you tried all the steps the previous user attempted to get the installer to run?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

marcelachaves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's a personal computer. I haven't been able to follow the instructions because I can't see them. That was my question from before. I only see this (attached)2-24-2021 11-25-02 AM.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @marcelachaves, just to make sure that we're on the same page, when you launch the installer, do not pop-ups come up? 

If you get any error messages, please send us a screenshot of them. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

marcelachaves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
The installer does not launch the application nothing happens the same as the user who posted these question initially this is so tiring you keep asking the same questions over and over again and don't provide any solutions please read my previous comments instead of asking me the same thing over and over

fedefiorini
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @marcelachaves !  I've just read your question, I found the solution by accident: when I execute the installer on Windows 7 the first message is the Windows 7 pop-up question that say if you are sure to execute this program with administrator privileges, I choose "NO" and the dropbox installer, instead of doing nothing, give me a message saying dropbox can be install without administrator privileges, and if I want to continue that way. So I went with that and it installed dropbox perfectly, it syncronize and is working properly. Hope this is any help for you!

Need more support?