cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Installer Won't Lunch on Windows 7

Dropbox Installer Won't Lunch on Windows 7

fedefiorini
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So the tittle tells you guys pretty much everything. I've just made a clean install of Windows 7 (Home Premium) on my girfriends laptop since I putted an SSD drive. I installed everything with any trouble but this is driving me crazy. I downloaded the dropbox installer but it won't start. I mean the confirmation message of executing the file appears, but after that doesn't happen and I mean ANYTHING. The window dissapear and there is no instalator process running, no error messages, just anything.

I thing I readed every post about this and I can't reach a solution. I tried all of this:

- Deactivate the antivirus (I'm using Avast Free) and the windows firewall

- Try to install it from an offline installer (same thing happened, just disappear after first confirmation "are you sure to run..." window)

- Try to execute the installer with administrator privileges and in compatibility mode

- Try to install it in Safe Mode and in Safe Mode w/network

- Try to download the installer from a different laptop copy to my girfriend's one in a pendrive

- I also did a CCleaner registry check and nothing came up

- The only thing it happen after this non-install is that in %LOCALAPPDATA% folder a Dropbox folder appears with another folder in it call "crash" or "crash reports" and it's empty. Obviously I tried delete and also not-delete the folder after every attempt.

And honestly I'm running out of ideas. I don't want to make another clean Windows 7 installation since all the other installer (Firefox, Chrome, Spotify, the AV, Autocad, ect) won't make any issue. Also I can't upgrade to Windows 10 since the laptop (a Pavilion dv7 HP) isn't compatible and it has the Win7 OEM original.

So if anyone can help me with this it'll sooo much apreciated it.

Thanks in advance guys,

16 Replies 16

marcelachaves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thank you! I'm going to try that! 😊👍

marcelachaves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, @fedefiorini 

So, I tried what you recommended and it didn't work, so I started thinking that was related to the Unknown Publisher message I was getting from the newer Dropbox version 116.4.368 Offline Installer so I went and looked for older versions and downloaded version 99.4.501 and this one did work. Although it keeps telling me that the digital certificate is not valid. But the same happened to the newer version from the beginning so I believe Dropbox has to fix that digital certificate so it's accepted by older Windows. So, there you have it. The latest version of Dropbox doesn't work on this Windows 7 Ultimate SPK 1. Thank you though! 🙂

fedefiorini
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @marcelachaves well thanks for the tip! I think I installed the 116.4.368 version (to be honest, I don't remember exactly) but I did that on a Windows 7 Home Premium, not ultimate. Maybe it fails with an Ultimate Windows? Anyway it´s kinda strange. I hope yours and mine solutions help to anotherone in trouble. Thanks anyway!!! 😉

AlexNN
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Today I have the same problem. Absolutly. 

I tried to do all. But the newest version of installer does not work on Win 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @AlexNN, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the installation process. 

Have you tried the offline installer provided here? I'd also suggest trying to reboot your device, since this could do the trick. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AlexNN
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Of corse. I tried to use off-line instalator. But it did not work. As a result I took folder "dropbox" from the other PC and put it to my folder ''programm files''. Via mentioned way I launched dropbox. But all versions of instalators which were downloaded from provided links didn't work. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'm happy to see that your trick worked @AlexNN

However, if you come across this installation issue again, give me a shout. 

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?