cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Issues with Mac OS Mojave

Dropbox Issues with Mac OS Mojave

Andrew O.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Users on Mac OS Mojave are experiencing an issue with Dropbox, their computers have become extremely slow. It works fine when Dropbox is not running.

When Dropbox app is relaunched, it takes about 30 minutes then it tries to sync files and that never stops.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Does anyone know how we fix this?

51 Replies 51

Wolfie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Seems that Dropbox and Mojave are not compatible. It was a very painful 2 days of wasted time realsing this to be the case! - And strange that this is not flagged by Dropbox or Apple with some kind of warning not to upgrade to Mojave.

Mojave+Dropbox=crippled computer 😞

Eric O.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well, this isn't great, but it makes my computer usable again...I pieced together a command line that lowers dropbox's disk and cpu priority to the lowest setting.   I can now print again in Mojave and use things that rely on dropbox folders.   Somehow the I/O is getting queued in such a way that there's a huge backlog and it causes memory and cpu resource crunch.  This seems to fix it for now:

sudo pgrep "Dropbox" | while read line;  do sudo renice 20 -p  $line ; done

what it does is "renices" all the dropbox processes to the lowest priority.  It seems like doing this, and then rebuilding my metadata database with a 

sudo mdutil -i on /

has made the problem better.  YMMV.   You will have to run the first command with each reboot.   Hopefully that helps someone? 

-eric

Evochee
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, but that's too much for me. It's strange that they are not trying to solve this. I was hoping the recent Mojave update would fix this, but wasn't the case. Two such companies that big, you'd think they would have the capacity for solving such bugs.

Maureen4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

One computer has the old version of dropbox and one has the latest stable version and same problem with both. You, Dropbox, really need to do something to check what the problem is with your software and Mojave not keeping asking users to do stuff that doesn't help.

Maureen4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a Macbook laptop and iMac desktop both not syncing after Mojave upgrade. I did all the usual troubleshooting...quitting dropbox, deleting dropbox, reinstalling newest version, etc. None of that worked. These are the things the dropbox technical person recommended. However, it is clearly some glitch in the Dropbox software related to working with Mojave not my computers. One of my computers deleted the 770,000+ files I have in my Dropbox and then started "syncing" and reinstalling them after I installed new Dropbox software. After "syncing" for days, Dropbox is now working on my desktop but my laptop is still "syncing" the 770,000+ which really means redownloading everything. Presumably when it finishes it will be OK.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If anyone is still experiencing these issues, since there haven’t been any reports outside of this threads, I’d recommend writing to our support team to investigate this further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JayTe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am experience slowness with Mojave on everything.  I have no tips for helping... nothing I have tried has yet worked.  Now that I have Dropbox reinstalled (I had to completely wipe my hard drive), I have kept local files to a minimum, so slowness is only affecting files I need to open that I left resident on the "cloud"

chabig
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro that's running 10.14.1 and Dropbox 61.4.95 without problem. But my 2014 Mac Mini booted from an external SSD crashes when Dropbox is running. The machines gets slower and slower, beachballs, and eventually hard crashes by shutting itself down.

mantis108
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

having this EXACT problem!  Disabled Early Releases and keep reinstalling the stable .4 release, but then even though early releases is disabled, it keeps reinstalling 64.3.121 which then causes the same sync'ing forever behavior. This has been going on for 2 WEEKS and I can't even sync with my business team or partners... nightmare.

Evochee
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
This did it for me: To ensure that Dropbox is working correctly, I'd recommend that you rebuild your configuration settings by unlinking and relinking your Dropbox account to your computer. This will restore any settings which may have been changed without affecting or removing your files. Please follow these steps to unlink and relink your computer: 1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock. 2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel, and select "Preferences". 3) Select the Account tab. 4) Click the "Unlink" button in the Account tab. 5) Your Dropbox will then prompt you to re-enter your account information. Your account will then take a few moments to re-index your Dropbox folder and sync any pending changes before returning to normal activity.
Need more support?