cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Issues with Mac OS Mojave

Dropbox Issues with Mac OS Mojave

Andrew O.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Users on Mac OS Mojave are experiencing an issue with Dropbox, their computers have become extremely slow. It works fine when Dropbox is not running.

When Dropbox app is relaunched, it takes about 30 minutes then it tries to sync files and that never stops.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Does anyone know how we fix this?

51 Replies 51

jmtabo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Worked for me too! Instead of copying all the original dropbox to another folder, I directly used mv from the terminal to move its contents to another place, then mv back again the contents to the new Dropbox folder (with the new Dropbox in pause). Then I restarted sync in dropbox and it was synchronizing during 4 hours (>400000 files). This would lead two days before! Now it is working perfectly. Many thanks!

mabaraujo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue with an iMac late 2015. Tried to reinstall like suggested but it doesn´t solved the problem. The computer still very slow even after I uninstalled all files from Dropbox, even after I´ve reinstalled Mojave. 

The only way to solve was to make a clean install of Mojave, erasing all my files. 

Now I´m not using dropbox and the iMac is just fine. But...I pay for Dropbox!!

Anyone facing the same problem after trying the solution of this thread?

thks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @mabaraujo,

Did you have the chance to check out the article here that Jay mentioned previously and see if any of the points there help with the issue you're having?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pennock541
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

No.

What I did is create a new profile and Dropbox worked fine in that. It also solved the problem I was having with Office.

Then I had to migrate all my files to that new profile and eliminate the ones I had in the original profile. That did the trick but obviously that is a lot of hassle and shouldn't happen.

Best!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @pennock541,

Thanks for letting us know what worked here for you! I'm sure this may be helpful to others who are also following this thread. I am sorry to hear about the hassle this caused you though in the process, but awesome job on the troubleshooting!

While we won't be able to pinpoint the reason this was occurring, if you appear to be having the same issue again then don't hesitate to give me a nudge here.

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pennock541
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well actually, it was all because I was so annoyed that I sent an irate tweet to apple. After quite a few messages that didn't clear things up, I followed their advice on the profile thingy and Bob's your uncle!

Best,

Bazzarrooti

User10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have had to do this advanced reinstall about 5 or 6 times in the last two months - every time the computer restarts or has gotten an upgrade. IS THERE A PERMANENT FIX FOR THIS ISSUE? It's really ruining my productivity to have to take a half day to do this and it's making me want to quit using Dropbox. Thank you - 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @User10,

If you're experiencing this on every start up, perhaps the issue could be due to having a large amount of files within your Dropbox folder. In this case, using selective sync can reduce the high CPU usage on your computer.

Otherwise, have you had the chance to check out this article here to see if any of the steps/points help with that?

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

User10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox is not using a large amount of my computer's CPUs or the memory. I do have a large number of files in Dropbox - every time my computer restarts it re-syncs every single file? It doesn't just check for the ones that have been updated?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @User10,

The app won't resync all your files, but it will need to index them. Indexing the files will crosscheck those you have online and those within your Dropbox folder to see if there's any changes that need syncing.

In cases where users have a lot of files in their Dropbox account, we suggest using selective sync for folders that are not used often/at all as this will reduce the amount of files that need to be checked upon start up of the app.

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?