cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Lag in File Explorer

Dropbox Lag in File Explorer

Cynik84
Explorer | Level 3

Folders and files take several seconds to open while navigating through the Windows 10 File Explorer after clicking on them.

However, when I access them through the Dropbox Desktop App it is almost instantaneous so it does not seem to be an issue with the files themselves.

Is there any way to restore functionality to accessing files and folders in Dropbox through the File Explorer?

As a side note, my OneDrive folders are also displaying the same abnormal behaviour (lag in opening folders while using File Explorer).

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox Lag in File Explorer

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox doesn't control anything in regards to opening files in Explorer. To Windows, it's just a folder like any other on your computer.

Cynik84
Explorer | Level 3

But it is strange that all the other folders open just fine. It is only the Dropbox folders that take about 30 seconds before they open.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Cynik84, I hope you're well today!

Just out of curiosity, which version of the desktop app are you using? You can see this by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Cynik84
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne, 

I am currently on ver 90.4.307.

I have dropbox on another laptop using Windows 8.1 and it does not have this issue so I am thinking it could be a Windows 10 and Dropbox conflict.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update @Cynik84!

If you close the desktop app on your computer, do you still see the same slowness with the File Explorer? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Cynik84
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Yes the file explorer is still lagging for the dropbox folder after shutting down the Dropbox app.

Daphne
Dropboxer

If the issue is persisting after the Dropbox app is no longer running, then the issue is not being caused by the app itself.

Could you check out the steps in these 2 articles (here and here) to see if any of the steps mentioned there help with this issue you're having @Cynik84?

If not, then I'd have to suggest reaching out to Microsoft Support as they'd be better equipped to assist you further with this.

Sorry that I can't be of further assistance with this, but do let me know if you have any other questions.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Cynik84 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?