cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Dropbox Link stays in windows explorer after uninstall

Dropbox Link stays in windows explorer after uninstall

Sneijder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I uninstalled Dropbox, but the Explorer still has the dropbox link. Tried uninstalling via Programs and Features and via the uninstaller. Machine has been rebootet. How can I get rid of it?

Unbenannt.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sneijder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unfortunately that won't help. I already did delete the folder and reboot my machine. The link stayed.

My solution was to crawl the registry for {E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A} and set System.IsPinnedToNamespaceTree  to 0 in every instance. If I remember correctly there were 3 entries with ID. After a reboot the Icon is now gone.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Initially, thanks for the proactive screenshot, that really does help in understanding what youā€™re referring to. Note that what youā€™re seeing is the folder thatā€™s left behind after an uninstall procedure, because when you uninstall the Dropbox desktop app, your files donā€™t get deleted. 

This folder then contains all the files and folders that were syncing up until that point. In other words, itā€™s just like any other folder on your computer now and itā€™s not syncing. If you want to remove it, you can go ahead and delete it.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any more questions! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sneijder
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unfortunately that won't help. I already did delete the folder and reboot my machine. The link stayed.

My solution was to crawl the registry for {E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A} and set System.IsPinnedToNamespaceTree  to 0 in every instance. If I remember correctly there were 3 entries with ID. After a reboot the Icon is now gone.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again @Sneijder, thanks for your prompt reply! Although changing the registry isnā€™t something weā€™d recommend, Iā€™m glad to hear you were able to resolve your concern in the end.

If you have any other questions in the future, donā€™t hesitate to get back to us. In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! :laughing:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Issam997
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Awsome! For me I had to update in these 4 places:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}]

Doesn't seem there is another way other than updating the registry though!

zembobane
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

DROPBOX SUPPORT, are you seriously pretending that you don't understand the issue? Wow. You CANNOT delete the file on the lefthand side of Windows Explorer! So please give us another solution. How do you get Dropbox completely removed? I uninstalled it from Programs and Features and it STILL shows in Windows Explorer. WHY?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @zembobane, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

If you're having trouble removing the Dropbox folder from the left-hand side of your Windows Explorer, you can try the steps to advance reinstall without actually reinstalling (following steps 1-4).

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

anarfox
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had the same issue and went through the registry looking for {E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A} but it didn't help. Turns out there's another key to look for: {E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1B}.

I won't list all the places I found it on beacuse it was litered all over the registry (like 20+ locations), but fixing this key as well resolved the issue for me.

Dropbox, you really need to look over your uinstaller. Littering the registry with keys and leaving them there during an uninstall isn't good practie. Not to mention all the junk files I had to manually delete from all the appdata folders.

Floffy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It shouldn't be difficult for Dropbox to add some options so that we can choose which uninstall to perform:

• Repair Dropbox (Reinstall and fix common issues)
  • Full uninstall (Delete everything related to the application itsef)
  • Delete the Dropbox folder ?

3 simple options which can definitely make everyone happy!

yafirst
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Need more support?