cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Linux Linking account

Dropbox Linux Linking account

Kedwards
Explorer | Level 3
I recently installed linux (debian based) distro on my laptop. I am not able to link my account to the client. My account is also a business account that uses Shibboleth to authenicate. The CLI doesnt work for authenication. If i log into the account via web first then run dropboxd from terminal, it will take me to the do you want to link account o computer XXXXX. I select connect, main page says "Your computer was successfully linked to your account" but a failure message appears on the same page stating "there was a problem completing request" I downloaded the last 3 stables and same issue. I went to version 13 that uses the old way and it worked fine.
7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox Linux Linking account

Kedwards
Explorer | Level 3
Sorry for got only errors im seeing in terminal is (dropbox:12330): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/glib2.0-9u5SM4/glib2.0-2.52.3/./gobject/gsignal.c:2523: signal 'child-added' is invalid for instance '0x12345' of type 'GtkMenu'

Karina
Dropboxer
Hey there @Kedwards, thanks for reaching out and sharing this with us! :upside_down:

Sounds like you might have Linux Mint, Kali Linux, or Emdebian Grip. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Currently, none of the Linux debian-based distros meet the system requirements to run the Dropbox desktop application on the client. This would explain why you're unsuccessful with linking your device to your Dropbox account. 

At the moment, the system requirements for the Dropbox desktop app to run on a Linux OS is either Ubuntu 10.04 or higher & Fedora 19 or higher. This is also outlined in the following Help Center article: https://www.dropbox.com/help/3 

This would very well be the reason why you’re experiencing no success with linking your account. 

Hopefully this helps clarify, and I’m very sorry that I can’t be more helpful with this. Let us know if you have any further questions, though, and I’ll be happy to help you out in any way I can. 

Thanks and have a great day, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Kedwards
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I am using Kali.  It is strange it is working on my other Kali machine.  The fun part is dropbox on the new install machine is working if I use my dropbox personal.  It is only not working with the business account that is linking to Shib for authenication.

Standard personal account login works fine.

Karina
Dropboxer

Hey again @Kedwards

Thanks for getting back in touch so quickly!

Even though the Linux distributions are installed the same way, on different machines there can be slight variations (this could depend on several different factors, such as the amount of configuration carried out on one device, as opposed to the other). 

The same applies for Mac and Windows OS’s, however, in this case, Linux can change is such a way that it could prevent the Dropbox desktop app from running within expected behavior. What these settings or configurations could be are not something we would be able to determine, unfortunately. 

&& Since we officially only support two of Linux's distros, we're unable to provide much support in this case. 

But, hopefully, this information helped clarify things a little further. :slight_smile:

Best, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Kedwards
Explorer | Level 3

It looks like it has to be a problem with shibboleth enable accounts.

I install Ubuntu 17.04 (aka Zesty) and I am having the same issue with my business account that is setup for SSO via shibboleth. 

In Kali and in Ubuntu both are erroring when attempting to login from the CLI url that users are sent to after installation from the first 2 post.

Try with my personal dropbox account on both distros dropbox logs in and works without issue.

If I am not already logged into Dropbox Business it does not autoredirect to the login screen for shibboleth.  It instantly goes to bad user name and password.  Log into dropbox business account and then goto the CLI it knows my account and it can read the machine data (hostname for my install).  Then errors with  a problem.  At this point im going to have to say it is with the current installs that is on the dropbox site as well as the beta versions I have tried.  I then tried to install nautilus-dropbox from repo and same issue.

It all seems to be an issue with Shib enabled accounts.   Is there anyone else that can test this for me, Shibboleth SSO/Dropbox/Ubuntu(currently testing with Kali Linux and Ubuntu Zesty (17.04)?

Kedwards
Explorer | Level 3

Got into the office this morning and tried one more time, using my Mac.  I finally got an error message that was meaningful.  Too many devices linked.  Removed the oldest one that hasnt checked in and all is well in all distros I tried.  This explains the personal account being able to link in linux at the time but not business account.  So i think it would be useful if it would report meaningful errors.

Thanks for the help...

Karina
Dropboxer

Hey again @Kedwards, thanks so much for getting back in touch with this additional information and your update on the matter!

It's definitely very good and important feedback that you've provided us with, and I'll be forwarding your case up to members of our team who are more specialized in this field, so that they can further review and take a look to see if the matter can be reproduced from our end. 

I've also made a note about the meaningful error messages you mentioned. 

Thanks again, and apologies I couldn't be more helpful. If there's anything else you ever need, please don't hesitate to share your questions or comments on the Community! :slight_smile:

Best, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Karina Dropboxer
    Kedwards Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?