cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox M1 (Apple Silicon) Mac "Open With.." issue.

Dropbox M1 (Apple Silicon) Mac "Open With.." issue.

mickliq
Helpful | Level 5

I rely heavily on "deep links" to open Dropbox files in native Mac Apps.  I upgraded to a new M1 MacBook Pro and updated Dropbox to the version that supports Apple Silicon and Big Sur.  Dropbox synching works fine, but if I click on a link (from a colleague over Slack, for instance), when it opens the file in the browser, I no longer have the option to "Open with..." local Mac apps.  For instance, we use Microsoft Apps (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) and whereas it for instance used to show the local Word app for a doc/docx file, it now only shows Word Online.  That's super annoying because the Online versions are much more limited.

I believe this may be a Flash issue, as it seems the "Open with..." menu somehow relies on Flash, and Flash support is ending in December -- I'm wondering if Flash is just not supported on M1 Macs period (I have Flash installed but no idea if it's working or not).

I've tried several browsers (Safari, FireFox, Chrome, Edge, Opera) and the same issue with all browsers, so it's not a browser issue.

My workaround for right now, is to use the Dropbox status bar icon and the "Teams" icon to find the latest files my colleagues have uploaded, but this doesn't work for anything older than a day or two since they get buried.

Any ideas on way forward here?  Given the death of Flash, surely Dropbox needs to come up with a new solution?!

16 Replies 16

chuttenh
Explorer | Level 3

Confirmed that I'm having the same problem here as well - Macbook Air M1 13", Big Sur 11.0.1, occurred both on Dropbox 111 and on the latest beta 112.3.254. Many thanks for any info / fixes!

stendam
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I run into the same problem on my Apple M1 MacBookPro, i.e. Open button in the webbrowser doesn't show any options.

Is there a build or workaround that I can use that solves this problem?

I am loggged in in all accounts in the dropbox app and on the browser.

I am running Dropbox version 114.3.363 and the latest versions of Chrome (Version 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (arm64)) and MacOS (Big Sur 11.1).

Thank you, 

Sander

kendallclark
New member | Level 2

It is completely awful and unacceptable that Dropbox Paper does not work with M1 Macs yet.

What is Dropbox doing about this?

No M1 web browsers can reliably edit Paper docs. It seems entirely random.

And "Open in app" is just broken.

leftnotracks
Helpful | Level 6

Can you tell me how you acquired the native Apple Silicon version of DropBox? I downloaded the latest installer and it installed an Intel only version. Chat with support was unable to direct me to a native version.

mickliq
Helpful | Level 5

Just to update this thread, this is now (finally) working for me again.  I assume Dropbox updated something on their side so that it no longer relies on Flash.  YAY!

Mannaffolki
Collaborator | Level 8

So much for keeping you updated as they promised...
/sigh

RomainP
New member | Level 2

You can also try this open source solution to create direct deep link between dropbox files directly in the Finder : https://github.com/RomainPct/BoxFinder

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RomainP New member | Level 2
    Mannaffolki Collaborator | Level 8
    mickliq Helpful | Level 5
    leftnotracks Helpful | Level 6
    kendallclark New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?