cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Not Connecting With Files on iPadOS

Dropbox Not Connecting With Files on iPadOS

colonialchurch
Explorer | Level 3

I recently switched to an iPad for work but when using Dropbox accessed through the iPadOS Files app, I frequently (multiple times a day now) have to sit and wait for up to 15 minutes or so before Dropbox will load. After talking with Apple, they insist it’s a Dropbox issue (and granted I don’t have this issue with anything iCloud or Google related) but I’m not finding anything online either.

When you go to the Files app and select Dropbox the issue occurs either at that level or after a few more folders in. When you try to load anything from dropbox (where is always different so not related to just one folder or file) it doesn’t respond for several minutes. After several minutes go by (always a different amount of time as far as I can tell) the file or folder will finally load and be usable. On times that I have already loaded some of Dropbox first, all that information still appears to be available but Dropbox has become unusable until it catches up again.

There is more than enough space available in Dropbox and the internet speed is very fast.

Any ideas for how to fix this issue (other than “don’t use the Files app”?

Thanks!

17 Replies 17

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @colonialchurch, thanks for letting us know about this. 

Do you have the most recent version of Dropbox installed on the iPad and do you also have the latest version of iPad OS on the device?

Have you tried restarting the device, to see if that helps?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

colonialchurch
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @Hannah!

Yes to all 3. I have auto-update turned on for both apps and iPadOS. It has been going on for most (if not all) of my time using Dropbox and Files together on this iPad Pro. Yes to restarting. Unfortunately there isn’t a consistent result after restarting the iPad so that doesn’t seem to resolve it. It didn’t seem to be an issue immediately but it wasn’t long before I just understood that was a hiccup I wasn’t able to fix yet. It also seems to be getting worse (happening more frequently if not almost every time, taking longer to “re-connect”).

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, I see, thanks for trying!

The thing is that accessing Dropbox through the files app is more Apple, than it is Dropbox.

But do you perhaps have a lot of files in your Dropbox or very large files? Maybe that's why the files app takes a long time to load them all.

Maybe clearing the cache of the files app might help.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

colonialchurch
Explorer | Level 3

I do have a lot of files in dropbox, but sometimes like today, it works immediately and has no issue. Other times (like normally anymore) it takes a while for them to appear. But there is no progress bar or anything like that to let me know it’s actually doing something so as far as I can tell it’s just stuck.

I understand the “it’s more of an Apple thing” but unfortunately they say the same thing from their end.

I’m not sure deleting the cache is possible for the Files app. Is there a way I don’t know of?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @colonialchurch, sorry to jump in, but could you try another wifi network or cellular data if possible and let us know if you notice any difference? 

Also, have the folders that load right away been opened before or not? If they've been already accessed at some point, they must have been cached somehow and that's why they load faster. 

Let us know of any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

colonialchurch
Explorer | Level 3

No worries! Glad for extra thoughts!

It has done the same on my home network as well. Not sure I’ve tried it anywhere else or through the cell network that I can think of off the top of my head. 

The folders that I can see immediately seem like they have to be cached or something. It picks up from wherever I was last and not starting over at the very base level of the account. So wherever I was before, that’s what it appears like but going anywhere from there doesn’t happen whether going into a folder deeper or going back to the parent folders.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information @colonialchurch - much appreciated!

May we reach out via email to have a further look internally at this point? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

colonialchurch
Explorer | Level 3

For sure

[removed per the Community's Guidelines]

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the cooperation @colonialchurch

I just sent you an email to the email address that's associated with your profile here, on our Community.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GliderGuy New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    3x3x3 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?