cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Not Syncing and reached device limit

Dropbox Not Syncing and reached device limit

Prima2339
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I wake up this morning and with coffee in hand, go outside with my Pixel 3XL phone, and snap a couple pics of where I'd like to place my new custom-made address sign on my garage.

"Send us some pictures of where you would like the sign to go, we will calculate the exact size needed".

and the headache begins.....

I noticed within seconds, the pictures did not upload??  hmm??

Check your WiFi right??....connection: Excellent

After 2 hours still not syncing, standing directly beside my home router....connection: Excellent yet, nothing?  No new pictures since yesterday?

I attempt on my android, to manually upload them (4 small pictures)  NO success!

Checked my dropbox account on my laptop "Dropbox is up to date,"  and "Sync History" nothing since YESTERDAY!?? hmm?

Checked my dropbox account usage.....3.97GB of 5.25GB, so plenty of room for 4 little pictures.

what is going on????  the tension headache starts pounding....

Check the android app making sure all permissions are granted and location settings are on....

AH HA!  Under location settings, "Apps with this permission can access this device's location"  NO DROPBOX???

NO Dropbox on the 'allowed' list, NO Dropbox on the 'allowed only while in use' list, and NO Dropbox on the 'denied' list!

WHERE IS DROPBOX?????   Have another coffee and think about this some more....

Everything was working fine the day before, what could have possibly changed overnight???

I made sure ALL permissions were granted to Dropbox on the android app.  Doubtful that these could have been changed while I was sleeping!  Checked them anyway!

Yet I was still not able to allow location permissions.

I checked the play store for updates and installed.  Restart device with new update, STILL NOT SYNCING!!??

Arrhghghhh!!!  Splitting Headache!!

I then decide to uninstall the Dropbox phone app and then re-install....

I open up the newly installed Dropbox, sign in with my account email, BUT NOW.....

"you've reached your plan's device limit" (I am using the basic free version)

"Switch to Plus or unlink some devices".  My HEAD is going to EXPLODE!!!

I HAVE ONLY 2 DEVICES!!!  GOOGLE PIXEL PHONE, AND LAPTOP!!  THAT'S ALL!!  NOTHING MORE!!!!

NOW I CAN'T EVEN SET UP THE PHONE APP AGAIN WITHOUT REMOVING THE ONLY (1) DEVICE ON THE LIST

(google pixel phone)

I have spent the whole day trying to get %#*!! dropbox to work!!

Thoroughly and completely disgusted with Dropbox!!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prima2339
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

*****UPDATE PROBLEM RESOLVED*****

So, because of all the glitchy Bulls**t with Dropbox, and no considerable replies for a solution, I left it alone and decided to switch to Google Drive.

After a few days I clicked on the Dropbox app. (on my Pixel)  When it opened it asked, "You have two devices, Google Pixel Phone and Laptop."

"Would you like to link this app to your Laptop?" 

Well curiosity certainly got the best of me....I had to click "YES" just to see what would happen now????

Within seconds my Dropbox laptop and Dropbox android app were synced!!

*****I did absolutely nothing to fix this problem except switch to Google drive and wait 4 days*****

I can't offer this community any advice or tips with this problem, except Dropbox is Glitchy and malfunctioned!!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Prima2339, thanks for posting on the Community!

I understand your frustration over the syncing issue you're experiencing.

From what I can see, currently, you're not able to install the app due to the device limit, so let's first address that aspect.

Could you let me know how many devices you have currently connected on your account? Are they desktop or mobile devices?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Prima2339
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The answer to your question is IN MY POST!

It is written in all caps!

Prima2339
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It would be helpful if you don't ask what I've already answered....thx

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If you're getting the message that there are three devices already on the account, then the site is definitely detecting 3 devices.

Could you attach a screenshot of what you're seeing on the devices page?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Prima2339
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

*****UPDATE PROBLEM RESOLVED*****

So, because of all the glitchy Bulls**t with Dropbox, and no considerable replies for a solution, I left it alone and decided to switch to Google Drive.

After a few days I clicked on the Dropbox app. (on my Pixel)  When it opened it asked, "You have two devices, Google Pixel Phone and Laptop."

"Would you like to link this app to your Laptop?" 

Well curiosity certainly got the best of me....I had to click "YES" just to see what would happen now????

Within seconds my Dropbox laptop and Dropbox android app were synced!!

*****I did absolutely nothing to fix this problem except switch to Google drive and wait 4 days*****

I can't offer this community any advice or tips with this problem, except Dropbox is Glitchy and malfunctioned!!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Prima2339 Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?