cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Password Recovery Words change every time I click view 'View My Words'

Dropbox Password Recovery Words change every time I click view 'View My Words'

HIkw-Qedxw
Helpful | Level 6

I setup Dropbox Passwords application on a Windows 10 desktop and an Android 10 device.

When I setup the desktop I printed the Recovery Words that were generated.  Well I managed to damaged the piece of paper they were printed on.  So I opened the app, click my profile icon, selected preferences, then clicked on SECURITY, at the bottom I clicked 'View My Words' and printed My recovery words.

A few hours later I decided maybe I should print another copy of my words for a different location.  So I open the app and went to 'View My Words,' and printed them. Then I noticed the first couple of words were not the ones I remember.  So I got back to the set I printed a few hours ago and compare them.  They do not match.  I go back into the app and print another copy of the words.  Now I have three different sets of words printed.  I repeated this three more times and now have six sets of completely different words.

So here is my question - Instead of menu button being labeled 'View My Words' is that menu button suppose to read 'Replace/Reset My Words?'   Currently the function performed by the button cetainly does not match the description on the button?  Or perhaps does the button action point to the wrong function and another button has been left out?

Until I know how this function is suppose to behave I erased my data by resetting the app.

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox Password Recovery Words change every time I click view 'View My Words'

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @HIkw-Qedxw; thanks for flagging this with us and sorry for the late response.

We're checking back with the team on this one and will keep you posted with any updates that may come our way as soon as possible. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox Password Recovery Words change every time I click view 'View My Words'

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey again @HIkw-Qedxw; how are you today?

I just wanted to ask if you're still having the issue you described in your original post. 

If you do and since it's not the expected behavior, may I use the email that's connected to your Community's profile so we can investigate further? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?