cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Passwords - does this App store password history?

Dropbox Passwords - does this App store password history?

semani
New member | Level 2

Most sites want you to enter both old and new passwords before they can reset your credentials. And I keep forgetting my current password. 😞

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @semani and Welcome to our Community! Let's see more of your issue. 

Just to make sure I understand this right, you want to be able to store an old password when using a site, as long as the new one, is this right? 

Let me know and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

miccolis
Helpful | Level 5

I ran into a similar issue and the way I've seen most other password managers handle this is to keep a record of old passwords for an item. This solves a bunch of problems that can occur. For example;

1) as was my case (and likely the OP as well) you updated the password directly in Dropbox Passwords, only to find out that the website requires the old password to accept the update.

2) The browser plugin makes a mistake and updates the password, but you miss the singular-chance to "undo' the save, and end up with a record of the answer to a security question as your password & not the password itself.

3) you're fighting with picky password rules on a website and it accepts a password you gave it, but you've been regenerating them over and over, assumed the updated would fail because it took a moment to process, but then... as you've just regenerated the password you see that the password you just trashed was actually accepted.

Having access to the history would solve all of these and more.

carumasd
New member | Level 2

Password history would be great. Other password managers do it, fwiw. It's a feature that I have need of from time to time... I think I saved a password and it didn't take or something like that.

ScottN001
Explorer | Level 4

I ran into a similar issue today. I logged into a site with my stored PW in Dropbox only to find that the PW was only three characters. The site requires a minimum of 8, so I knew it wasn't right. As near as I can tell, Dropbox Passwords saw something I updated in my profile on the site and mistook it for a PW update, and I didn't see the "ignore" prompt when it happened.

Fortunately, I remembered where I had the old PW written down and was able to retrieve it, but having a history in Dropbox Passwords would allow me to easily find the old information.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ScottN001 Explorer | Level 4
    carumasd New member | Level 2
    miccolis Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?