cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Passwords doesn't sync logins between devices?

Dropbox Passwords doesn't sync logins between devices?

hanskfroschauer
Helpful | Level 5

I use Dropbox Passwords on 4 devices. My iPhone and my 'old' Macbook Pro, where everything syncs and works, and my iPad and my new Macbook Pro, where nothing is synced. Both just show me the 'Start adding accounts' screen. I've been through a looong list of measures with chat support, but nothing has solved this so far.  Has anybody else experienced something similar? And maybe even found a potential solution?

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @hanskfroschauer, thanks for bringing this to our attention today.

In case you haven't already, can you double-check that you're signed in to the same Dropbox account on all these devices/computers?

If you are, can you please describe the steps you followed to connect your iPad and new MacBook to your Dropbox Passwords?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hanskfroschauer
Helpful | Level 5

Definitely the same account on all devices. I just deleted the app on my iPad and re-installed it, and that has made things worse as it won't even let me sign in anymore. Here goes:

• I re-installed the Dropbox Passwords app on my iPad Pro (latest iPadOS, latest version of the app)
  • I open the app and (try to) sign in
  • It asks me to approve through another device
  • I do that (tapping 'Connect' in the iPhone app), and NOTHING happens. iPad app just stays on the 'Check you other devices for a notification' page. And I waited and waited for a long time.
  • After trying to resend the notification 3 times, approving on iPhone every time, and still nothing happening on the iPad, I tried the Recovery Words option. Again, I enter them all, tap 'Continue', then there's a short 'Loading'-overlay, and after a second, it goes back to showing me the words-form, and NOTHING happens.

So now, not only doesn't the Password app sync anything, I can't even sign into Dropbox Passwords on the iPad anymore. 

As for my Macbook Pro (M1 Pro, 16"), I've installed the browser extension, and here I am signed in (fortunately), but it doesn't sync anything. It doesn't show me any of the 700+ logins I have on my iPhone, it won't let me add a login manually (it's not saving it), and when trying to import the csv-file exported from the iPhone app, it first shows me the list of all 720 logins (so it obviously can read the file just fine), but when I click 'Import' it says 'Import failed, try again later'. And I did try later. Many times...

So I'm very frustrated here. I'm a happy Dropbox Pro user and have been for many years, and I really like Dropbox Passwords. But since it doesn't give me anything but grief, I'm getting worried about trusting it with all my important data. Everything to do woth Dropbox has always been easy and intuitive, but this Paaswords-thing is a f*ing nightmare. Please help.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @hanskfroschauer, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team to look into this matter in more detail on their end.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

OliverBCollins
Explorer | Level 3

Ridiculous answer! Going to suport does not deal with synvcing in any of the boxes offered. Why not just answer the question?

I have tried for an hour to figure out why, all of a sudden, my MacBook Air has stopped syncing with my iMac desktop when it has worked for a year. No new passwords or email sign-ins. It is syncing with my account online but not my iMac desktop.

nEcRoS
New member | Level 2
I wanted to install Passwords App on my tablet and it didn't bring the notification to my base device so I identified myself with the security words and managed to install the app but the Passwords weren't synchronized, it was empty on the tablet but on the base device they have 65 Saved passwords.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nEcRoS, I hope you're doing well!

Are you sure you're logged into the correct account? Do you have access to your base device?

Also, have you tried to close and re-open the Dropbox Passwords app on your device(s). When you re-open the app, are your passwords now synced?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    nEcRoS New member | Level 2
    OliverBCollins Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    hanskfroschauer Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?