cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Quits Unexpectedly When I am Away from Computer

Dropbox Quits Unexpectedly When I am Away from Computer

dimdem
Helpful | Level 6

I recently had to "refresh" Windows on my PC. I have had some quirks since then. One is that Dropbox (112.4.321) gives me the message that it "quit unexpectedly" several times a day. It never happens when I am at the computer; it is only when I have been away for a while. I don't know exactly how long it takes, but it seems to be on the order of an hour. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, to no avail. The computer is set to slee after three hours, and it is definitely happening in less time than that. I suspect that there is just a setting somewhere that I need to change, but I don't know what. Chrome seems to crash at the same time as Dropbox, so there must be a connection.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox Quits Unexpectedly When I am Away from Computer

dimdem
Helpful | Level 6

I think that it's resolved. I have been having a litanny of issues with Windows---mostly program crashes of different sorts---since December, when I got a new monitor. I didn't think that a monitor could be the cause for this sort of issue. However, I've now determined that the problems only occue when this specific monitor is connected via DisplayPort. I switched it to HDMI and suddenly my system is stable. Maybe a really esoteric bug in the display driver? 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

dimdem
Helpful | Level 6

Follow-up: Maybe I was wrong to suggest a connection between my issues with Dropbox and Chrome. Yesterday it seemed like both were crashing together. However, DB just crashed when I was away from my computer for no more than 20 minutes (so it definitely hadn't gone into sleep mode). Chrome didn't crash.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @dimdem; thanks for joining our Community and sorry for the late response.

If you're still having issues with this, could you try reinstalling the app(s) on your computer and let us know how it goes?

Thanks a bunch!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dimdem
Helpful | Level 6

As I noted in OP, reinstalling didn't solve the problem. However, it hasn't occurred today, and I'm cautiously optimistic that the issue is resolved. If so, what seems to have done it is reseating my graphics card, of all things. I had recently messed with the card to clean the fan, and I was seeing errors in Event Viewer connected to graphics. I reseated the card yesterday, and so far I haven't had any more Dropbox or Chrome crashes. The connection isn't obvious to me, but even if it's coincidence, as long as the crashes stop I'm happy. If I don't post again then that means that the issue didn't recur.

dimdem
Helpful | Level 6

Well, that didn't solve it, either. However, I've done a clean install of Windows and surely that will resolve it (he says hopefully). It wasn't a Dropbox problem any more than a Teams or Chrome problem; all three programs were crashing pretty regularly.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping us in the loop @dimdem.

Let me know if you're still facing issues with this and have a wonderful new year by the way!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dimdem
Helpful | Level 6

The new install helped for about a month but now the problem is recurring. Here is what I see in the event viewer:

dbx.JPG

Walter
Dropboxer
I'm sorry to hear that @dimdem.

Could you perform a clean, advanced re-install and let me know if it helped improve matters? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

dimdem
Helpful | Level 6

I can try it, but let me ask a question. Alongside the issues that I've been having with Dropbox crashing, I have also had problems with crashes in Explorer.exe. Both happen when I'm away from the computer, but not necessarily at the same time. (I would have to be away longer for explorer to crash, usually.) Last night I disabled my graphics card and just had integrated video. I was away all night and nothing crashed. Is there any history of issues with a video card causing Dropbox to crash?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @dimdem, we're not aware of such an issue, but give Walter's suggestion a try and let us know how it goes. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?