cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Refuses to Stay Connected

Dropbox Refuses to Stay Connected

jpwgibson
Helpful | Level 5

Beginning with version 35.4.20, Dropbox will not stay connected on both of my machines (iMac).

I am not running firewall or any anti-virus software.

I have tried the "No proxy" setting – to no avail. Dropbox intermittantly disconnects and re-connects interminably.

13 Replies 13

Re: Dropbox Refuses to Stay Connected

310EI
Super User

@jpwgibson wrote:

Beginning with version 35.4.20, Dropbox will not stay connected on both of my machines (iMac).

I am not running firewall or any anti-virus software.

I have tried the "No proxy" setting – to no avail. Dropbox intermittantly disconnects and re-connects interminably.

Hello, @jpwgibson...

I'm not experiencing any problems whether I use Dropbox's website interface or their desktop client on; 2-Win7, 1-Win10 and 2-Linux machines (so it's not happening to everyone albeit I'm not testing on an iMac).

However, I am using the same the same stable build (offline installer) on all 5 computers without any problems *knock-on-wood*.

First, let's start by checking your current storage space level since you didn't specify what type of account you use (eg: Basic, Plus or Business).

How much storage space is available when you look here (eg: 300 MB of 2 GB used)?  If you're over your storage quota then your files won't sync (upload).

If your storage space is under your quota then please read the first Help Center article below, if you haven't already.  Be sure to read the section towards the bottom of the page which mentions unlinking your device as a possible solution.

Please let us know if anything worked for your situation or if the problem persists (post a screenshot or two if possible of any error messages you're receiving).

If nothing helps solve your problem then you may consider reading this forum post to view instructions on how to Submit a Help Request (includes screenshots).

HELP CENTER ARTICLES

jpwgibson
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks for your response. You write "If you're over your storage quota then your files won't sync (upload)."

But the problem is not uploading or syncing: the problem is connecting. The app is caught in a perpetual cycle of connect/disconnect.

Quitting (or pausing the syncing operation) is the only way I can effect connection. When I need to sync something to Dropbox, I quit it or pause it, then restart or un-pause – then connection is re-established long enough for the required sync.

I checked my quota, and I am less than half of my capacity.

I'll try the other things you suggest once I've got a minute.

Thanks for your efforts.

310EI
Super User

@jpwgibson wrote:
Thanks for your response. You write "If you're over your storage quota then your files won't sync (upload)."
But the problem is not uploading or syncing: the problem is connecting. The app is caught in a perpetual cycle of connect/disconnect.

Hello, @jpwgibson...

You're quite welcome.

I understand, but to avoid assumptions and alleviate possible suspects I like to get the storage quota part out of the way :nerd: 

@jpwgibson wrote:
Quitting (or pausing the syncing operation) is the only way I can effect connection. When I need to sync something to Dropbox, I quit it or pause it, then restart or un-pause – then connection is re-established long enough for the required sync.

Thank you for that information.

To verify... if you add or change a file within your Dropbox folder it won't automatically sync without pausing/resuming the Desktop Client?

@jpwgibson wrote:
I checked my quota, and I am less than half of my capacity.
I'll try the other things you suggest once I've got a minute.

Thanks for your efforts.

Okay, super about quota - TY.

No worries... info is there for you to try at your leisure.

You're welcome,

jpwgibson
Helpful | Level 5

To verify... if you add or change a file within your Dropbox folder it won't automatically sync without pausing/resuming the Desktop Client?

But my problem is not with automatically syncing: my problem is with a perpetual loop of connecting and disconnecting.

Let me put it this way. My Dropbox app is caught perpetually and interminably between two states:

1. "Connecting"

2. "Connected"

While the app is suspended in state 1 ("Connecting") no syncing will – nor can it – occur. Unless I am mistaken, there are no means by which Dropbox can sync when it is not connected. Neither automatic nor manual syncing can occur while Dropbox is held in the "connecting" state.

And this is precisely my problem: it is constantly connecting and disconnecting. It is caught in a perpetual cycle:

connect . . . disconnect . . . connect . . . disconnect . . . connect . . . disconnect . . . etc

It does this irregardless of whether or not I add/change something to Dropbox. Again: the issue is not syncing – neither manual nor automatic syncing.

The issue is connection and spontaneous disconnection.

GoSharks
Collaborator | Level 9

FYI-  This exact same problem is being discussed in this thread... you might want to keep an eye on it too.

jpwgibson
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, GoSharks. Misery loves company, as they say.

310EI
Super User

jpwgibson wrote:

But my problem is not with automatically syncing: my problem is with a perpetual loop of connecting and disconnecting.

Let me put it this way. My Dropbox app is caught perpetually and interminably between two states:

1. "Connecting"

2. "Connected"

While the app is suspended in state 1 ("Connecting") no syncing will – nor can it – occur. Unless I am mistaken, there are no means by which Dropbox can sync when it is not connected. Neither automatic nor manual syncing can occur while Dropbox is held in the "connecting" state.

Okay, appreciate the detailed clarification.

True, if it's "connecting" then it won't sync while trying to connect.

Let me know if you have any luck with the suggestion in my original reply when you have time.

310EI
Super User

@GoSharks wrote:

FYI-  This exact same problem is being discussed in this thread... you might want to keep an eye on it too.

Thank you @GoSharks, I'm aware of that thread and subscribed to it for updates.  However, @jpwgibson can read through it if he hasn't seen it since he wasn't probably looking for Windows 10.

Keep in mind I'm using Win10 with v35.4.20 on one of our machines without a problem.  So... that proves it can work, but of course that doesn't help us to know what's specifically different on any of your machines vs mine.  I'm using Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium as our antivirus software as a FYI.

javon7065
Explorer | Level 4

We are seeing the same thing at my work. I'm an IT admin and got the call that everyone's desktop DB client is in a perpetual state of "connecting" There is no firewall restriction in place for dropbox; never has been. Have tried all of the suggestions in articles found on this site. What's is stange is that in my troubleshooting it appears that the issue is only when users are at work. When they go home they can use Dropbox fine. I tested this theory today. Our ISP is AT&T in both the phila and Wash DC office. We have a Comcast cable modem for testing things in Phila and when I point my machine to use Comcast the DB client works fine. When I switch to using AT&T, no deal. Also, using a laptop connected to our wireless lan, the DB client can't connect. When I tether the laptop to use an iPhone on Verizon, works fine. Switch the tethering to an iPhone using AT&T, client instantly stops working. There seems to be no way I can contact support on this issue. Any known issues with AT&T?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?