cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Syncing and Storage

Dropbox Syncing and Storage

pigg2696
New member | Level 2

On my Mac, through the Dropbox app, I turned on selective syncing to save space on my hard drive, which was at max capacity and not allowing Dropbox to sync because it was so full. Now I cannot attach or open any documents from Dropbox on my computer. For example, I have no way of attaching documents to emails, or opening them in Adobe, Excel, or Word. I tried turning on Smart Syncing, which did nothing. I cannot open up the desktop app anymore, as now when I click on the application, it opens up my empty Dropbox in the Finder app. This issue has put my work at a standstill and I cannot do anything to undo the changes to the settings. I really need help. Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox Syncing and Storage

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @pigg2696, welcome to our Community!

Selective sync completely removes the folders from your Dropbox folder, so it would make sense if you weren't able to access your files, attach documents to emails, etc. 

You'll need to sync them back to your computer, through the selective sync settings. They will sync as 'online-only' files, which won't take up space on your hard drive and you will be able to access them again.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?