cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox (Ubuntu) halts and catches fire - erases itself!

Dropbox (Ubuntu) halts and catches fire - erases itself!

Robert W.68
Helpful | Level 6
I am a not too Linux savvy so perhaps use a grain of salt, but this seems weird to me...

Dropbox seems to be erasing itself from my Ubuntu install (Chromebook - Crouton with xiwi, Ubuntu 16.04.06 xfce). Installed it yesterday with no problem then desktop icon disappeared and the command dropbox was not found. Reinstalled it with the following two commands:

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

It installed and seemed to run. I clicked on the icon and my whole Linux process froze. When I restarted it from the ChromeOS terminal, the process attempted to start Dropbox and returned this error: xfce4-appfinder: failed to execute: Failed to execute child process "dropbox" (No such file or directory) 

Putting "dropbox" into the Ubuntu terminal yields bash: Dropbox: command not found and trying to remove it (using instructions from How do I uninstall Dropbox?) yields: Package 'nautilus-dropbox' is not installed, so not removed and Package 'dropbox' is not installed, so not removed

This has happened 3 times now. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox (Ubuntu) halts and catches fire - erases itself!

Robert W.68
Helpful | Level 6

found a solution to the problem. I downloaded Synaptic Package Manager, and saw that it had a Dropbox package which I downloaded, and it has worked fine. It may have been an older version.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @Robert W.68

As a first step, could you please clarify for me if you have the relevant system requirements on your Linux OS to run the desktop app

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Robert W.68
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Lusil. 

Here are my results:

If you’re computer is running Linux, and you want to run the Dropbox app, you need to use:

• Operating system Ubuntu 14.04 or higher, Fedora 21 or higher (Check, Ubantu 16.04)
  • Glibc 2.19 or higher (CHECK (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.23-0ubuntu11) 2.23)
  • The latest Dropbox app for Linux (I assume that when I used the script and downloaded the tarball, that it was the latest Dropbox app?) 
    cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -
    Appears I didn't have Nautilus, so I installed it and now have:
    ii  libnautilus-extension1a:amd64        1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu6                amd64        libraries for nautilus components - runtime version
    ii  nautilus                             1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu6                amd64        file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
    ii  nautilus-data                        1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu6
    So, with Nautilus installed I again tried to run the above script to download the tarball above followed by
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Interestingly, the previous times I had installed and run that script, in less than a minute it required me to sign into Dropbox. This time it ran for 3-4 minutes, seemingly hanging for a minute or two but then continuing on. It did not ask me to log in. I saw the Dropbox icon but when I clicked on it, the Ubuntu froze up. I rebooted it and in the ChromeOS terminal, it showed

fce4-appfinder: failed to execute: Failed to execute child process "dropbox" (No such file or directory)
^[[Bxfce4-appfinder: failed to execute: Failed to execute child process "dropbox" (No such file or directory)
xfce4-appfinder: failed to execute: Failed to execute child process "dropbox" (No such file or directory)
xfce4-appfinder: failed to execute: Failed to execute child process "dropbox" (No such file or directory)
^[[Bxfce4-appfinder: failed to execute: Failed to execute child process "dropbox" (No such file or directory

There is no Dropbox icon. I tried running the second line of the above script, (~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd) from the Ubuntu terminal and after loading some script it reported

Another instance of Dropbox (1600) is running!

So, I am about to reboot the whole computer, and see if Dropbox loads. I will report back if there are any new relevant developments.

Lusil
Dropboxer

No worries, @Robert W.68. Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Robert W.68
Helpful | Level 6

So... 

I rebooted, and went through the steps to remove the old install, then tried the install again. It went fast, without a hitch, and had me sign in appropriately though the last few lines in the terminal stated

(nautilus:14969): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: 
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
 org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

The DB icon was present. Switched away to write this, and went back and icon was gone. Typing "dropbox" into terminal yields "bash: dropbox: command not found"

I checked, and the nautilus I had previously downloaded was still present before the install.

So back to the drawing board.  The requirements later state 

Spoiler
These additional requirements, when applicable:
  • GTK 2.24 or higher
  • Glib 2.40 or higher
  • Libappindicator 12.10 or higher
  • Nautilus 3.10.1 or higher

Already have Nautilus and Glib, are the other 2 applicable?

Lusil
Dropboxer
I’d recommend giving it a try and seeing how it works out for you. 

If you’re still having trouble with it after this, just give me a nudge. :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Robert W.68
Helpful | Level 6

I had posted another reply, but somehow I am now not seeing it. I had checked and installed those last two requirements --- GTK was already present and I then installed Libappindicator 12.10. 

It failed the first try at reinstall and then succeeded and was running fine for about an hour, but then it froze my system when I went into DB preferences off of the icon ... for the second time; the first time it worked fine. 

It still had the error message, however.

(nautilus:14969): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: 
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
 org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

And after that, there were a series of Nautilus failure messages, but it continued to run and sync my files. 

Robert W.68
Helpful | Level 6

Ok, false nonalarm. Everything was going well until I tried going into Dropbox preferences - for a second time. The first time I was able to.

I saw that my Drive was filling too fast, so I wanted to move the DB location. Saw I needed to re-format my SD. Went back to pause syncing, and when I went into the preferences, the system froze and now I have to reboot. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @Robert W.68

What happened after you rebooted your device? Are you still having issues?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Robert W.68
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Lusil, for your help. I had also put this into Dropbox support, and they just got back to me. I don't know if you want to get off the bus at this point, or stay in the loop. I did sumarize for them:

===========================================

"I posted this in the community forum as well, and you can find the conversation there, but the bottom line is that I figured out how to test, or download all the required assets.

• GTK 2.24 or higher - present in original install
  • Glib 2.40 or higher  - present in original install
  • Libappindicator 12.10 or higher - had to add it
  • Nautilus 3.10.1 or higher - had to add it

I didn't check specifically, but Chromebooks do use an ext4 formatted drive,  I have read.

I am running xfce Ubuntu and I had to install Nautilus, but I assume that that now qualifies as having the "corresponding Nautilus dependencies"

Each time I try to reload, I first go through all the steps to erase it listed on the DB site.

What I find in trying to do this, is that DB seems to have erased itself - I get the message like 'could not remove because the program is not present' both remove DB and remove Dropbox's Nautilus commands. 

The last time, after finally getting everything in place, it loaded and synced for a couple of hours, but then it froze the Linux aspect, but not the rest of the ChromeOS - my browser still worked as it had several other times so there are 2 varieties of failure:

1 - it just stops syncing and then will not open when I reboot, because it has erased itself

2 - it freezes Linux when I try to navigate the settings from the DB icon. Interestingly sometimes it has let me navigate the settings, and even change the location of the synced files, only to crash when I go back a 2nd or 3rd time.

In each instance however, the install of DB seems to have erased itself.

=============

So, that is where I am at, Lusil. Again, I have appreciated your help in getting this far.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Robert W.68 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?