cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Update constantly asking for hard disk permission every 30-60 minutes in windows 10

Dropbox Update constantly asking for hard disk permission every 30-60 minutes in windows 10

daedalus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is not really an error message, but I couldn't think of a better category for this issue.

Within the last few days, dropbox has been acting strangely. I have been getting permission pop-ups every 30-60 minutes from "Dropbox Update" asking for permission to access files on my hard disk. Regardless of clicking yes or no, it still continues to pop up. I have not changed anything between the time that it did work and now, as far as folder locations, so file permissions should not be a problem as they DID work and have access in the past.

There are no presentable error messages, and floating the mouse pointer over the dropbox tray icon displays: "Version 14.4.19 - Up to date", so I'm confused as to why the updater is constantly asking for access permissions, let alone so frequently.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marc64
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Happy to note that full unsinstall of my previous version (102.4.431) and install of today's latest (103.4.383) did the trick!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

daedalus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Is there anyone who can help me with this issue?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Sounds like the Dropbox client is trying to update itself but failing, then continuing to try again repeatedly. Something must be preventing the update from succeeding. The "Up to date" message isn't referring to your client version, but the sync status of your files. The latest releases are 15.4.22 for stable and 16.3.27 for beta.

Try a manual update instead, by installing the latest version of Dropbox.

daedalus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Rich You're right. Upon downloading the installer and attempting an update, I now receive the error message "Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x80004002". This happens for both the online and offline installers. Deactivating my antivirus does nothing to help the situation. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
That's a Windows error code. Google it and you'll likely get a lot of hits.

LawrenceLau
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here.

Attempts to update dropbox online or offline resulted in the Windows error 0x80004002.

Uninstalled Dropbox, restarted Windows, re-installed Dropbox from scratch. Restart windows. Seems OK so far. Best of luck.

marc64
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This error 0x8000 issue is now happening on the lasted Win 10.  😞

Error.png  

marc64
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Happy to note that full unsinstall of my previous version (102.4.431) and install of today's latest (103.4.383) did the trick!

mickbatti
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

upon uninstalling and re-installing, do you have issues with syncing local files and folders? I don't want to jeopardize my data

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mickbatti New member | Level 2
    marc64 Helpful | Level 5
    LawrenceLau New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?