cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x80070422

Nostuff
Explorer | Level 3

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x80070422

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Nostuff; welcome aboard and happy Monday!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with installing our desktop app on your Windows computer and since the error you get is a Windows specific one, I'd suggest performing a simple web search on your preferred browser with the exact error string as you'll find plenty of results that could possible help tackle this issue. 

That said, can you please let me know if you're installing our desktop app with admin priviliges and if the computer in question is up to date meaning that you're on the most recent OS and build? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nostuff
Explorer | Level 3

error 0x80070422 was a new one versus the "error 2" that had some documentation.

I did all the steps in the "error 2" posts. This started when I tried to sync the computer to the website, something that worked two days ago, that did not work Sunday. So here's what I did:

• installs went to windows "s" mode, which I do not use. "s" mode does not have an offline version, which is what I have been using.
  • downloaded the application and reinstalled. Got the "error 2".
  • uninstalled the current application and tried to reinstall. Same error 2.
  • downloaded the "Dropbox 95.4.441 Offline Installer" and tried to insall. Same error 2.
  • used the "https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall", ran CCleaner to remove all the remanents in registry. Then used REGEDIT to remove all dropbox elements.
  • ran both the online and offline installers with both giving the same error 2.
  • performed the 'advanced-reinstall' and ran the offline installer and got "error 0x80070422"
  • went to the dropbox chatbot in support and got nothing.
  • posted to this group.
  • tried installs using windows "safe" mode. Same errors.
  • tried several times doing the same definition of insanity and finally decided to move to Google drive.

Am leaving Dropbox content online just in case something happens that fixes the issue but have removed from my computer. Will wait for someone to come up with a solution before I recommend my clients who use Dropbox for due diligence virtual data rooms to be wary.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @Nostuff!

You haven't specified your device's OS and build? Could it be that it's running an ARM processor?

If so, it's true that you'll only be able to install the app for Windows 10 in S mode as our regular desktop app isn't compatible with your machine.  

I hope this sheds some additional light! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nostuff
Explorer | Level 3

Windows 10 home version 1909 build 18363.778

Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHZ, 16GB Ram

as below, have been using Dropbox including the 'sync' for several years most recently having done a sync on 4/17/2020. On 4/19, the sync would not work hence the steps shown to attempt to fix the problem. According to dropbox, my "getting started" was 9/17/2011, but that doesn't reflect my using dropbox for the financing of my company in 2000. I don't think it's my computer, its the dropbox application that has a problem especially since Google does NOT have the problem.

Walter
Dropboxer

Oh, I see. Thanks for the additional info @Nostuff!

In that case, you might need to switch out of S mode on your computer before trying to install our desktop app.

Keep me posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Nostuff
Explorer | Level 3

Not in "S" mode on my computer. As noted, the system says that "edition" is Windows 10 Home, not "Windows 10 Home in S mode". Dropbox somehow assumes "S" mode and will NOT install..

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nostuff Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?