cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm receiving the following error when attempting to install dropbox: "Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e".

I'm running Windows 10. I have also attempted the offline installer with no success. The only antivirus and firewall running are Windows Defender.
I have restarted the computer a few times, no luck.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Don't worry, we'l help you!

The error is a MS one and sadley not specific. Lets try this an see where we get:

1) Quit Dropbox:

2) Uninstall Dropbox 

3) Restart

4) After this, please proceed to delete remaining registry entries:

a) Click the Start button. Type REGEDIT in the search box and press Enter.
  b) In the Registry Editor, navigate into the following locations until you find the keys for "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate", they will be in either or both of the following two locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
  c) In both or either of these folders, please delete only the "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" folders by right-clicking on the individual folders and selecting "Delete".

5) Then, please delete the Dropbox remaining folders:

a) Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer). 
  b) Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs) and press enter. 
  c) Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the resulting window. 
  d) Please repeat these steps with the following folders as well (it's OK if you don't find a Dropbox folder in any of those locations): 
%APPDATA% 
%PROGRAMFILES% 
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)% 
  e) Then restart your system.

Please note that deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

6) Download the newest version of Dropbox from the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

7) Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the installation file and double click on it.

😎 During the initial setup and sign in process apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.

To select your already established folder on your drive, after signing in and choosing which folders to sync, and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link, click on this.

Then you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder, for example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox (Team)" you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder".

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Please note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder, the web interface or other linked devices while the folder was "off-line", will generate conflicted copies:

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/conflicted-copy

Finally, this process only works when linking to the exact same account that was previously linked to this computer. If you'd like to merge accounts, please refer to the following Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/account/merge-two-accounts

Hope this fixes and if you have any additional questions please let us know and we’ll be happy to assist!

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@marvifredo wrote:

I'm receiving the following error when attempting to install dropbox: "Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e".
I'm running Windows 10. I have also attempted the offline installer with no success. The only antivirus and firewall running are Windows Defender.
I have restarted the computer a few times, no luck.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Regards.

Hello, @marvifredo...

Have you tried the offline installer after you disabled Windows Defender (antivirus/firewall)?

Otherwise, according to @Jane's posts in this thread, you should submit a Help Request (view instructions).

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I have tried the offline installer after disabling Windows Defender. The issue persists.

I have submitted a Help Request, but it will take a few days for the response.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@marvifredo wrote:

Yes, I have tried the offline installer after disabling Windows Defender. The issue persists.

I have submitted a Help Request, but it will take a few days for the response.

Hello, @marvifredo...

Okay, thank you for clarifying about Windows Defender.

I searched Google for the error message, I recommend that you do some non-Dropbox related research while you wait to hear back from the Support Team (view screenshot below).

DBx_Error0x800b010ePossibleReasons_001.JPG

It's possible that the "Error 0x800b010e" message is more likely related to your operating system and has nothing to do with Dropbox (other than that's what you're currently trying to install).

If you haven't done so already... post your question in the Microsoft Community regarding the error code.  Perhaps someone there can help you to rectify the problem.

Please let us know if you find out anything.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for your help.

I tried installing Dropbox on 2 different computers, both running Windows 10.
Yes, it appears to be an issue with the operating system.  I will post on the Microsoft Community to find out any possible fixes.

Thank you.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@marvifredo wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I tried installing Dropbox on 2 different computers, both running Windows 10.
Yes, it appears to be an issue with the operating system.  I will post on the Microsoft Community to find out any possible fixes.

Thank you.

Hello, @marvifredo...

You're welcome.

Sounds good... let us know what they suggested and if it worked for you.

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The Dropbox team told me it is not their problem and that I should contact Microsoft for help.

It was suggested to use this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/916260

I have tried to install Dropbox on 5 different computers (all Windows 10). They all have the same issue.  One of them is brand new (1 week old) with Windows 10 operating system.

I haven't finished all the steps on the link above, but I will post an update once I find something that works.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Keep us posted on this matter!

It does seem to be a general Windows error message, which could indicate potential corruption in the file system, among other things, but they would have more specific details on this error.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @marvifredo, anything to report yet? :thinking:

Have a great weekend!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I received a suggestion from the Microsoft forum, but it didn't work.
It was the following:

Open Windows Defender Security Center 
Open App & browser control 
Set the Off option for Check apps and files.

-It didn't work.

I have tried the Microsoft help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

I followed all the steps and nothing worked.

I'll try again in a few days and I'll post the results.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    salonso12 New member | Level 2
    techconcierge Explorer | Level 3
    billhoge New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?