cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm receiving the following error when attempting to install dropbox: "Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e".

I'm running Windows 10. I have also attempted the offline installer with no success. The only antivirus and firewall running are Windows Defender.
I have restarted the computer a few times, no luck.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Regards.

34 Replies 34

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I chatted with Microsoft Technical support regarding the above error message.

I was told to "get lost" and that I should contact Dropbox technical support.  Dropbox technicall support referred me to Microsoft, and Microsoft referred me back to Dropbox.  This is going nowhere.

I will keep trying to get someone to help.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Don't worry, we'l help you!

The error is a MS one and sadley not specific. Lets try this an see where we get:

1) Quit Dropbox:

2) Uninstall Dropbox 

3) Restart

4) After this, please proceed to delete remaining registry entries:

a) Click the Start button. Type REGEDIT in the search box and press Enter.
  b) In the Registry Editor, navigate into the following locations until you find the keys for "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate", they will be in either or both of the following two locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
  c) In both or either of these folders, please delete only the "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" folders by right-clicking on the individual folders and selecting "Delete".

5) Then, please delete the Dropbox remaining folders:

a) Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer). 
  b) Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs) and press enter. 
  c) Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the resulting window. 
  d) Please repeat these steps with the following folders as well (it's OK if you don't find a Dropbox folder in any of those locations): 
%APPDATA% 
%PROGRAMFILES% 
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)% 
  e) Then restart your system.

Please note that deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

6) Download the newest version of Dropbox from the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

7) Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the installation file and double click on it.

😎 During the initial setup and sign in process apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.

To select your already established folder on your drive, after signing in and choosing which folders to sync, and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link, click on this.

Then you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder, for example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox (Team)" you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder".

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Please note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder, the web interface or other linked devices while the folder was "off-line", will generate conflicted copies:

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/conflicted-copy

Finally, this process only works when linking to the exact same account that was previously linked to this computer. If you'd like to merge accounts, please refer to the following Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/account/merge-two-accounts

Hope this fixes and if you have any additional questions please let us know and we’ll be happy to assist!

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Not sure why my text ended up including that emoji??? - we'll take it as a good sign.

mgerla
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I don't think it's a Microsoft Problem. In the German Community other Users have the same problem. I can't believe that all of these Users have problems with Windows Update.

I have a Fixit-Tool for Problems with Microsoft Windows-Update. Find nothing. I removed Dropbox completly from my Notebook and installed it again. For the moment everything is ok. I installed Dropbox with an older Version. After Installation Dropbox runs the Update to the newest Version.

Will see if it works for the next Update.

mgerla

merrypine
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

i have tried the steps posted but no luck.  the error message repeat 

merrypine
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

my windows 10 was free upgrade from windows 7.  i have followed all steps posted (from regedit to %programfiles(x86)%), but no luck.  run the offline install version with adminstrator but still not luck.  please help

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Just checking, when you say ‘run the offline install version with administrator’, are you running the program normally?

Contrary to what it seems, if you chose to run the installer using elevated permissions, namely, right-clicking it and choosing to run as administrator, then this isn’t going to work as expected.

Let me know if running the installer normally after an advanced reinstall still doesn’t work.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

merrypine
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I tried both methods; normal and adminstrator (per posted steps).  Both methods gave me the same error message (0x800b010e)

merrypine
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

checking, i'm on windows 10.

i don't see Dropbox app in "App & feature".  I presume i never had Dropbox installled.

1. If on Windows 8 or 10, search and click Control Panel in the start menu.
  2. Click Uninstall a Program (Vista, 7, 8, 10).
  3. Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click Uninstall

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If you’ve never had the Dropbox app installed, then the installation error should be OS-related, since it’s not even able to open the installer.

There isn’t much I can suggest on my end. 

If you want to rule out an issue with Dropbox, you could try creating a new user profile on your computer, not a Dropbox account, but a login to actually access your computer.

If it installs correctly, then you can be sure there’s an issue with Windows, or namely, the user profile you use when accessing Windows. This might help Microsoft troubleshoot this matter further on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    salonso12 New member | Level 2
    techconcierge Explorer | Level 3
    billhoge New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?