cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e

marvifredo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm receiving the following error when attempting to install dropbox: "Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b010e".

I'm running Windows 10. I have also attempted the offline installer with no success. The only antivirus and firewall running are Windows Defender.
I have restarted the computer a few times, no luck.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Regards.

34 Replies 34

merrypine
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

i created a new account in Windows 10 and logged in the new account.  I downloaded the version from the link from your last email.  The installation process failed again with the same error.  It has proved it is not an OS issue, right? 

I have three laptops.  All PCs are connected to a switch before going to a modem.   I have the same installation error message for only two PCs.  One was able to complete the installation process.  All three PCS are on Windows 10 with upgrading from Windows 7 or XP.  Do you think if it is network related issue?  Please advise.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Interesting… Since this isn’t a Dropbox error, I can only assume that something is affecting the installer itself. It might not be an OS issue, but could now be network related.

As the installation worked on one machine, but not two others and both with the same message, my impression now is that the Dropbox desktop application isn’t getting downloaded in full, or something is interacting with the installer during the download.

Could you try downloading the installer on the computer that works, and then use a USB stick to transfer it to the other computers and try to install it there? 

If this fails, download the installer from another network completely and do the same thing with the USB stick.

Another point of consideration, though you don’t need to do this yet, is that the switch, or the network cable to the switch for those computers is faulty in some way, or restricting/corrupting the download.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Joe23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The error might be a Windows error code, but the solution you propose is fixing a DropBox problem. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Well, that’s not what I was saying to be honest. 

If we rule out Windows and Dropbox, then it’s something affecting your internet connection and thus the downloaded installer, which is why I suggested downloading it from elsewhere.

If that installer works on one machine, but not another, then there’s a problem with that Windows device and not Dropbox.

Since we’ve not received any reports about this matter, aside from the users in this thread, it appears to be an isolated issue specific to those users, so specific in fact that it’s difficult to pinpoint what could be causing this.

As well the steps I suggested, perhaps keeping the Windows machine fully updated using Windows Update would help to allow it to install any necessary security patches etc which could help stop this issue.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Joe23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was able to resolve the issue by removing the aforementioned Dropbox keys in the registry and then reinstalling. I don't see how you can describe that problem as a "Windows Device problem" since it is Dropbox and the Dropbox installer that are responsible for reading and writing those keys. 

For troubleshooting, I'd suggest having the next poor soul who runs into the problem exporting the keys from the registry and passing them along as a test case. 

merrypine
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I copied the installation file from an PC with working dropbox installer.  I also download Dropbox installer offline version.  I logged in to a new account on Windows 10 and tired both versions.  Both versions failed on me with the same error message.

From suggestion of Joe23, is it worth a try to import the registry keys?  how do I export the keys from the registry?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @merrypine, apologies for the tardy reply, are you still facing this issue? 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

OdenTall
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi I have done all you said but it doesn't work yet why didn't you make a registry file for doing these automaticaly Microsoft says the error code belongs to the windows update 7x80070002 but it seems you have to connect with microsoft if you know or think it's not from Dropbox anyhow I still can't use it, please find a way for me to use it again with best wishes ShaPour [personal information removed by moderation]

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Shapour (@OdenTall), sorry to hear that you’re facing this issue; rest assured I’m here to help you as much as I can. Just in order to make sure I’m suggesting the most appropriate course of action moving forward, would you mind clarifying if you’ve already tried to work on that following the steps Ross S. has posted on the second page? Please keep me updated here & we’ll take it from there Shapour

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

gwadem
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

2019_05-17:  I, too, could not get Dropbox Offline Installer 72.4.136 to install on my new laptop running Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Installation would start and then immediately report an error 0x800b010e.  I spent hours reading threads, messing with RegEdit, rebooting, disabiling this or that, booting in safe mode, etc., etc, etc.  Trying every "solution" with no luck.

THEN, I tried installing it on a profile that logs into Microsoft.  BAM!  It loaded! 

Afterwhich, it even installed on a profile that does not log into MS where it would not install before.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    salonso12 New member | Level 2
    techconcierge Explorer | Level 3
    billhoge New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?