cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Using Up Limited Bandwidth

Dropbox Using Up Limited Bandwidth

Buffy A.
New member | Level 2

I have been having problems with this since the latest Dropbox upgrade. If it's running all the time, it uses bandwidth. Before the latest upgrade, I scheduled Dropbox to open in the evening when my satellite bandwidth was cheaper and then closed it before the "anytime allowance" started. Now, since it's no longer an app, once Dropbox is opened, my automatic scheduled close has to be done manually. And NOW, Dropbox keeps updating itself in the middle of the afternoon, suddenly using up about 200MB, without the application even being open. I would like Dropbox to update when I have it auto open in the wee hours of the morning. Not at any hour the company wants to send an update. I have a business account with my work as well, or I'd simply delete the Dropbox program on my computer. Other software applications allow for scheduled updates. Why is this not an option with you? It's very inconsiderate of those of us with limited satellite bandwidth. Please make this an option: to not have Dropbox bandwidth activity during daylight hours. Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox Using Up Limited Bandwidth

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Buffy A., we're sorry to hear about this.

The Dropbox desktop application isn’t the only app running on your machine when you install it; there is a also a separate service to update the app to the latest version.

You can check in your task manager on your OS to see which service it is and place that process in your scheduler to see if this helps. On Mac devices it is DropboxMacUpdate, while on Windows it is Dropbox Update.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox Using Up Limited Bandwidth

Buffy A.
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your suggestion. Mac does not have a decent scheduler, so I need to research 3rd party apps before I can see whether or not this will work.

Any clues on where to search for DropboxMacUpdate? Is it in the Library in a Dropbox folder?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?