cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello

I am having issues using Dropbox with the Files App.

1. When trying to attach a file to an email I can browse and select the file but when I select the file the round 'downloading' icon appears but it never completes. The square 'cancel' icon at the centre of the circle is unresponsive. 
  2. When browsing Dropbox within the Files App some (but not all) folders display "To view the items in this folder, you need to authenticate". When I click the button to authenticate the screen briefly flickers but nothing happens. 
  3. I cannot browse Dropbox within Files unless I disable my Dropbox pass-code/touch ID. A few days ago this was working.
  4. The search feature within Files does not return any of the Dropbox files.

I have tried the following steps to remedy the situation:

• Cleared Dropbox cache.
  • Deleted the Dropbox App and then restored it to the latest version (64.3)
  • Rebooted my iPhone 7.
  • Tried another device (iPad Mini 2).

None of these actions have made any difference. I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

DavidZ
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We know about the issue where navigating into a folder whose name contains a period causes an authentication required screen to be displayed. It will be fixed in an upcoming update. Thanks for reporting!

View solution in original post

DavidZ
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Neil K. wrote:

I installed iOS11 within minutes of it being released. Files definitely could access Dropbox at this point just by using TouchID. Shortly after this Dropbox made a new version of their app available. It was at this point that it stopped working and displayed the message saying to disable the passcode.

You're correct: from iOS 8 up until the latest version of Dropbox for iOS 11, it had the "Doc Picker" and did support passcode/Touch ID. OneDrive still uses the older Doc Picker. You'll notice it's not as seamlessly integrated into the Files app though, for example, in the Files app you can't copy files between OneDrive and e.g. iCloud or Dropbox, but you can between iCloud and Dropbox.

There are some technical limitations relating to the passcode lock in the Files app and we're looking into solutions.

View solution in original post

45 Replies 45

jpharrin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just uploaded the newest version of the app. It’s 64.3.4. If this isn’t what you have try uploading again. I haven’t experienced all of the issues you mentioned. I was able to authenticate and open files by opening the Dropbox app.

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. 64.3.4 is the version I have but am still having all the same issues.

From another forum thread I have seen folder names containing a period (.) are causing some issues and indeed many of the folders I cannot view have a . in their filename. Suppose I will just have to wait until a new version is released.

Still can't attach files to email or see dropbox files in Siri search etc.

jpharrin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just to make sure is Dropbox turned on for Siri?

Settings->Sire & Seaerch->Dropbox

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes it is turned on. As I said I think it may be to do with the authentication issue with folders containing a . in their filename. I can't remember if it was the Dropbox forum or the Apple Communities forum where I read a thread with other people having similar issues with such filenames.

Just tested: I renamed a folder from "1.ComputerScience" to "1ComputerScience" and now the Files App will browse to it fine, but going to any folder with a . still gives "To view the items in this folder, you need to authenticate". Clicking 'Authenticate' just makes the screen flicker and nothing happens.

jpharrin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Other responses.

1. I successfully attached one file and couldn’t another (due to authorization require). The latter was a Pages file copied from either iCloud or directly from my MacBook. I don’t remember which. I downloaded the document from Dropbox and found it was saved as a zip file.

2. This might be a similar issue to #1. I think I read that iOS 11 (or Dropbox?) has issues dealing with zip files that will be corrected in a later revision?

3. I can’t duplicate this issue.

TacoSmith
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Neil, I'm experiencing the same issue that you mentioned in #2 on my wife's new iPad Pro with iOS 11 and Dropbox. She extracted some brushes to use in an app and stored them in a folder on Dropbox via her PC. When she tries to import them via the iPad app, it opens up the Files app. She tries to navigate to the brushes but gets an error that says "To view the items in this folder, you need to authenticate". I click the authenticate link, and a gray box pops up but then disappears. She can't proceed past this screen.

jpharrin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The following is from a Dropbox document describing features currently not available.

Previewing "bundle" files, like Garageband, Ominoutliner, and iWork '09 documents (you may see Authentication error when trying to open these files)

https://help.dropbox.com/mobile/ios-files-app

TS what you describe might be the same file type issue and something to be resolved in future updates. Can your wife open the files in Dropbox using her PC?

TacoSmith
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the heads up regarding this jpharrin.  My wife can open the files from her computer and also from her iPad Pro directly from the Dropbox app.  The problem does seem to be with opening the folder through the Files app. 

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Still can't navigate to folders where the name contains a full stop (.)

Other people I know are having this problem too.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

desy123 Helpful | Level 5
    DavidZ Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
    JK1211 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?