cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox and Transcend JetDrive Lite expansion cards

Dropbox and Transcend JetDrive Lite expansion cards

Andy F.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was wondering if anyone had had any success storing their Dropbox folder on one of these expansion cards? I have one for my MacBook Pro and would love to keep a rather large Dropbox folder on there but when I try to I get an error message saying that some files can't be moved, please select a new location or close some files and try again. I have closed files and rebooted but still get the error. Might it help if I tried to reformat the JetDrive?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andy F.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hmm, not sure about that. I moved the whole Dropbox folder to the Transcend and once you format it and install a bit of software that mounts and unmounts the drive when putting the computer to sleep it all works really well.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Andy F.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Think I may have solved this on my own. I reformatted the card to Mac OS (Journaled) and it all now works well.

Joe A.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello Andy - I hope you won't mind answering a question.  I too am considering a JetDrive card and am planning on permanently moving a couple of large folders with multiple files to it.  I cannot figure out if once those files are moved to the JetDrive card can the files/folders of that card be set up to automatically sync to Dropbox just like all the other files/folders on my Macbook's hard drive?

If you have any insights and wouldn't mind sharing, it would be appreciated.

Andy F.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hmm, not sure about that. I moved the whole Dropbox folder to the Transcend and once you format it and install a bit of software that mounts and unmounts the drive when putting the computer to sleep it all works really well.

Diego P.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello...I am trying to change the original Dropbox directory to the Jetdrive but really don't know exactly how to do it? Can someone please give the right directions? Thanks in advance!

bodanique
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Andy, could you explain how you did this please? I just got a Transcend Jetdrive and formatted the card accordingly, but with Selective Sync the only folders that can be selected are the ones under my user folder (and the Jetdrive isn't one of them). I know it's an old topic, but I'm really stuck here. Thanks! 

khcole
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just purchased a JetDrive yesterday.  After formatting it, I needed to re-link my dropbox to the Transcend/JetDrive SD card.  The selective sync only controls what syncs to your DropBox location, not what folder you use for DropBox.  Go to Settings/preferences/Account and you will see an option to unlink your DropBox.  Then re-link it to the JetDrive.  DropBox will re-sync to that new location and then you can delete the old DropBox folder.  

One thing about JetDrive that I have not gotten to work. When my MacBook Pro wakes from sleep, the operating system doesn't always mount the JetDrive before DropBox throws an error saying it can't see the folder location, causing DB to quit and then I have to re-launch DB (huge pain).  Using the JetDrive settings hasn't fixed it either.  I'll repost if I figure it out.

luckyprintschi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm hitting the same wall. I formatted the drive as per the instructions for the JetDrive Lite on my MBP 15' Retina. My company DB account was getting too big to keep on the original hard drive hence the expansion with JetDrive. However, upon waking the computer, it doens't always recognized the JetDrive and subsequently won't sync the DB account. I often have to remove and re-insert the JetDrive Lite disc which it meant to not be removed frequently.

Am I missing something in the formatting that may be causing this? Is it an issue with the JetDriveLite that another product doesn't have perhaps? I'm assuming it's something im doing/not doing...

khcole
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have solved this. I apologize for not posting my solution.  You need to change your Mac's sleep/energy settings.  Go to System Settings.  Under Energy Saver, uncheck the option to put the hard drives to sleep when possible.  Then,  enable Power Nap.  Do this under both the Battery and Power Adapter tabs.  Also, on the JetDrive software (under JetDrive Lite) turn Power Save to "off".   Changing these settings allows the Transcend to maintain a connection to the computer and not think it's been powered off.

I have noticed very little impact to my battery levels when leaving the MBP unplugged overnight and the Transcend card stays connected.  If you need more assistance, please reply back.

luckyprintschi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Awesome! This is the first solution going this route I've seen and the only one that seems to have fixed all of the issues we were hitting.

I'll update if anything further happens.

Thanks for the tip!

@khcole wrote:

I have solved this. I apologize for not posting my solution.  You need to change your Mac's sleep/energy settings.  Go to System Settings.  Under Energy Saver, uncheck the option to put the hard drives to sleep when possible.  Then,  enable Power Nap.  Do this under both the Battery and Power Adapter tabs.  Also, on the JetDrive software (under JetDrive Lite) turn Power Save to "off".   Changing these settings allows the Transcend to maintain a connection to the computer and not think it's been powered off.

I have noticed very little impact to my battery levels when leaving the MBP unplugged overnight and the Transcend card stays connected.  If you need more assistance, please reply back.

Need more support?