cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app (121.4.4267) opens Finder window (Big Sur 11.3.1)

Dropbox app (121.4.4267) opens Finder window (Big Sur 11.3.1)

pedalgirl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm not panicking, yet.

Turned on Dropbox back up.  Sync'd Downloads, Documents and Desktop to dropbox - then read more about the feature.  

Decided that I did not want to use it, for reasons unnecessary at this time.

Opened the App, turned off syncing, but too late - all files up on Dropbox, and ghost/locked folder icons on my Mac.

Overnight, auto update to 11.3.1, restarted Mac.  Desktop files do not display on desktop, but can be seen in Finder > Desktop.

Now > Dropbox app (121.4.4267) opens Finder window (Big Sur 11.3.1), does not launch the actual App. Therefore I truly cannot turn off the back up, or move my files from Dropbox back to my Mac per https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup > Choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac

Tried downloading new version of App, but it's trying to download to my Dropbox, which doesn't have enough room. 

Help please, anyone?!  

thanks a bunch in advance.

23 Replies 23

pasq
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

Yes, I do have the Dropbox icon. I've clicked on it. If I click on the file icon, it brings up the Dropbox folders, but uses the Finder app:

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 11.51.07 AM.png

pasq
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi MartaMG,

That worked for me too.

Thank you!

pasq

EASem
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I COULD KISS YOU!! It has bugged me endlessly that I've been stuck with the finder window instead of the app. 3 clicks and it's back!!

colton_BDB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so much Marta! 

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was actually going to address how to open the app instead of the Finder window. Great to know we can access all options from the icon in the menu bar, but still couldn't figure out the Finder issue without your help!

Dbox debating
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey MartaMG, I encountered the same problem and your method worked! 😆

MilliG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you MartaMG!! That worked for me. This issue has been driving me crazy for a few weeks now & I couldn't quickly get to my "favorites". Now they're back 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Mechita52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same problem.

But I am afraid to reinstall Dropbox and loose the files on my computer that are in the DROPBOX folder.

The issue is that:

1.- desktop application that used to sync disappeared, it  is not anywhere on the taskbar (I have looked according to all instructions)

2.- Files do not sync

3.- no sync option on any Dropbox file when I right-click on the folder ( I have the version that permits sync)

4.-I realized it is not syncing after one week, so there are files in the DROPBOX folder ON MY COMPUTER that have not been uploaded or synced. I DO NOT KNOW WHICH AND HOW MANY.

Please help me get the sync working again and not loose the NEW files.

pasq
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm not sure if this will help, but try launching Dropbox using the Dropbox icon - sounds like it will come up in Finder.

Then, click Dropbox > Preferences > General tab and, where you see Finder in the dropdown, select Dropbox desktop app.

Best to you

slam jam
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think I may have found the solution to this.... If you go onto your dropbox profile in a web browser and click on your icon... go to settings and in the security section unlink your laptop. When I did this I was able to sign back in on my laptop and it automatically opened the app again.

lexig
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!

I'm having the same issue but on Windows. Any idea how to fix it? I finally was able to find dropbox preferences but I don't see that option under the "General" tab. 

Need more support?